PDA

View Full Version : Buying Corals online.

Azilla
03-10-2005, 11:22 PM
Hey all im kinda in a spot i live in a crap ass city called Prince George and i have a reef but its impossible to get livestock (( corals )) Only place i order from was JL cuz they update there stock page online alot. Is there any other places online? Even other online place i will send the what i am looking for and they say there pages will be updated but i fail to see them. By then all corals are sold. I have offered to buy many things that people sell in the buy and sell that i really want but its always the same answer that they dont want to ship to me. Livestock and equiptment always the same. Which makes me have to pay full price on things and i miss out on great things. So what im looking for really is any online stores that will ship or even people that will ship frags and such. I know there is alot of people that run frag tanks out of there homes. Just crappy for me cuz i have no locals to trade with. Or does anyone know how to order a box of corals??? cuz i would buy a box.

Willow
03-10-2005, 11:29 PM
ocean aquatics.

http://www.oceanaquatics.com

Zerandise
03-10-2005, 11:45 PM
I just got some stuff from www.reefraft.com I have not gotten it home yet but will let you know the quality when i do. I know of a few others that ship as well but i have not gatten anything from them.

Azilla
03-10-2005, 11:52 PM
I was gonna order from ocean aquatics they told me they got there stock in and was gonna put it online. That was last week and i have yet to see anything new.
that reefraft doesnt work for me.... even if i can get a supplier to send me a box would be nice/

Willow
03-10-2005, 11:53 PM
I was gonna order from ocean aquatics they told me they got there stock in and was gonna put it online. That was last week and i have yet to see anything new.
that reefraft doesnt work for me.... even if i can get a supplier to send me a box would be nice/

they have a ton of stuff i was just over there. maybe phone james up and tell him want you want.

Richer
03-11-2005, 12:14 AM
that reefraft doesnt work for me

I think he meant www.reefraft.ca

-Rich

Zerandise
03-11-2005, 01:33 AM
yes sorry .ca ;)

Jaws
03-11-2005, 01:47 AM
that reefraft doesnt work for me

I think he meant www.reefraft.ca

-Rich

Prices seem pretty expensive there would you say? Really nice stuff though.

rickjames
03-11-2005, 02:33 AM
Hey all im kinda in a spot i live in a crap ass city called Prince George and i have a reef but its impossible to get livestock (( corals ))

Hey! Don't bash Pigs Gorge! It holds a special place in my heart (I grew up there)!

I hear ya though for trying to buy stuff there, it is a total joke! My brother from P.G. is thinking about setting up a reef, so I am going to take him on a field trip to J&L and ocean aquatics. How do you like them P.G. LFS? My brother said he was in one of them and there was about 20 anemones all kinds of species under fluorescent lights all dying. When he suggested that maybe they should use MH, they were like "oh no, they are way too expensive"!

Other then J&L, Ocean Aquatics is probably the next best place to get stuff online.

Zerandise
03-11-2005, 02:37 AM
everything outside of the coast is much more costly. We are lucky for how little we pay for everything. We however pay the price by having lower quality livestock to0 choose from most the time. We do get gems in the rough but they can be far and few between.

Azilla
03-11-2005, 04:00 AM
LOL PG is alright but it has nothing. There is 2 store here 1 store sells there stock really expensive Example: a clam the size of a toonie for $200!!!! the other store gets corals in but there all the same. Softies and a pink color and like u said they have crappy lights so within 3-4 days of them being in there tanks there dead. I have lost to much livestock buyin local cuz alse they do is drop the corals in the water. Maybe 1x a month i get a nice coral sometimes every 2 months i get 1 but im so limited i love the hobby but i want something to be proud of have had my tank way over a year now and its bare as can be.

Bryan
03-11-2005, 05:16 AM
Strike up some friendship with folks on the board. I am sure someone from the Lower Mainland would be willing to send you up some frags on the Greyhound during the summer months.

P.S. I also share your views on PG, however I have a brother up there who loves the place.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2005, 07:42 AM
Road trip :lol: JK. If you PM me a list or email OA, I'm sure that something could be done about getting you a shipment of corals.

Anthony

Azilla
03-11-2005, 07:52 AM
thanks seahorse ill do that.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2005, 08:17 AM
You're welcome Azilla. Maybe I'll add PG to my growing list of places to visit Canreefers :biggrin:

Anthony

Xtasia
03-12-2005, 12:44 AM
there are other reefers in PG... maybe try to start a thread and try to have a lunch together.... see what you all have and trade... arrange to pick things up for each other when "in the city"

Azilla
03-12-2005, 05:47 AM
LOL Ya there are other reefers in pg but there are funny things with that. Most reefers here have the thing like Look at me i have saltwater so that means im good and better then everyone. I have listened to a few of them here and they make me laugh. I have also seen picture of there tanks in the store and they are mostly all softie tanks and they tanks dont look well maintained. I dunno im not a guy that thinks im all high and mighty in the saltwater i just think its funny. :rolleyes:

Willow
03-12-2005, 06:47 AM
i didn’t realize softy tanks weren’t cool.

Xtasia
03-12-2005, 06:47 AM
No offense, hon.. but the PG reefers I've met, were a great source of information and nice to boot. Trillianarm (sp?) for one, is a wonderful reefer, with many beautiful tanks (if the stuff he says he buys from down here is any indication)... I know that he happens to even take care of another reefer he's friends with, by bringing goodies for his tank too!

The best part about it, is learning what everyone 'swears' by.. and adapting it to suit your tank. Even if they sound a little too adamant with their own methods. Listen with an open mind :)

Your greatest resource, up there, is other reefers. (as few as there are..)

Good luck.. and post pics as you add stuff, k?

Azilla
03-12-2005, 08:53 PM
I wasn't saying they are all like that. The ones i have met where like that thou. ((Trillianarm is from PRINCE RUPERT! Not PRINCE GEORGE)) Also there is nothing wrong with softies i never said they weren't kool but its isnt what im in for im not into the reef softies. In all the time of being here i haven't met a nice reefer yet. (( PG that is )) well there was 1 guy i knew but his entire tank just crashed so he has nothing left now. For the fact that i live up here i talk to these people makin me know how they are like i said there high on themselves even the stores agree. Im not saying its the people u know up here. LOL I live here so i kinda see it. Anyways Im prob wording everything wrong and people are gonna take it all wrong so im not gonna say nothin no more. just in case but thanks to all the people on here that helped me there is good people on this board.

rickjames
03-12-2005, 11:41 PM
I wasn't saying they are all like that. The ones i have met where like that thou. ((Trillianarm is from PRINCE RUPERT! Not PRINCE GEORGE)) .

Man I used to get this all the time when I lived in PG. My mother in law owns a b&b in PG and would get tourists asking if they could get dropped off at the ferry to the Queen Charlotte Islands... um sure.... it's only a 9 hour drive!

:rolleyes:

trilinearmipmap
03-15-2005, 08:12 PM
Azilla,

Here is how to do it, my town is even more of an isolated hick-town than yours is.

First I have been disappointed by on-line coral (and fish) purchases. Species arrive mis-identified, a fish arrived near-death and starving (nursed him back to health), corals arrived looking nothing like the photos on the website.

You need to fly to Vancouver once or twice a year. Alternatively drive, but WestJet is cheap from Vancouver to PG.

Get one of those insulated styrofoam boxes that fish stores use to ship fish. Your local fish store should give you one, or sell you one for $5.00

Before you go to Vancouver post what frags you want. Try to contact various reefers on the board who have nice tanks, badger them constantly until they give in and offer you their frags. It helps if you tell them what a nice tank they have first.

When you get to Vancouver go to Ocean Aquatics and buy a bunch of corals, put them in the styrofoam insulated box to take home. Go to J and L to buy your fish, make sure they use oxygen. If you are driving home stop by Hidden Reef on the way back. If you bring home a few corals for other local reefers then they will pay you some extra for your gas money etc, or they will do the same for you next time they are in Vancouver.

Anyway it is not that hard to get good livestock this way, the cost of air freight ($50.00) is probably the same as the gas you will spend driving there and back. Plus you will get to leave Prince George for a couple of days, that is an added bonus.

I know what you mean about the attitude of some reefers, I was in J and L one time and one particular reefer was going on and on about his tank as if he were the one who invented coral reefs in the first place, he mentioned how one coral he bought was more than the cost of my entire purchase, people like that exist but the best way to deal with them is just to laugh and thank God your parents did a better job of raising you than that. Most (99.5%) of reefers I have met are great and very helpful and generous.

Bryan
03-15-2005, 09:41 PM
I think I have run into this person as well <g>

Azilla,

I know what you mean about the attitude of some reefers, I was in J and L one time and one particular reefer was going on and on about his tank as if he were the one who invented coral reefs in the first place,.

loggix
03-18-2005, 04:12 PM
hi new to forum im from terrace b.c
the lfs i deal with is really good the person i deal with
actually owns her own reef tanks, they getlocals bringing in frags of stuff
in once and a while i just bought 3 myself anyways just a thought
good to see a local here good luck

trilinearmipmap
03-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Yes the LFS in Terrace is good (Petland), I drive out there often. What kind of frags did you buy there? I just sold them some hairy mushrooms, xenia, green star polyps, and yellow polyps.

Loggix do you come out to Rupert much, if you do maybe you should go in on a livestock order sometime, or if you want in when we order a big batch of frozen mysis, PM me if interested.

hawk
03-18-2005, 08:03 PM
Hi loggix, glad to see another member from Terrace.

trilinearmipmap
03-18-2005, 10:26 PM
IMO we should start a NW coast reefers group to coordinate coral/livestock purchases and support the hobby.

heyfredyourhat
12-09-2007, 08:51 AM
Well i better revive an old thread! I am in the soon to be adding LR stages of my 120, would love to meet with other reefers in the area if there are any!??