PDA

View Full Version : seahorses

Snappy
03-10-2005, 06:27 AM
Where would you recommend getting seahorses from?

EmilyB
03-10-2005, 06:35 AM
http://www.seanic.ca/

Beverly
03-10-2005, 12:23 PM
Before getting any seahorses, here are two boards where you can research their needs:

http://www.syngnathid.org/
http://www.seahorse.org/

Feeding stations for seahorses:

http://www.lostmymarblz.com/hh-feeding-stations.htm

danny zubot
03-10-2005, 02:44 PM
On another note, Scenic is a Canadian breeder so you'd be buying tank raised Canadian see horses! :mrgreen:

Beverly
03-10-2005, 03:21 PM
On another note, Scenic is a Canadian breeder so you'd be buying tank raised Canadian see horses! :mrgreen:

Not exactly sure Aaron breeds them himself. The ones I got from him a couple of years ago were bred in Australia and shipped here.

cc_bruno
03-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Definitely take Beverly's advice on the websites... TONS of information there, including pros and cons to wild caught vs captive bred. Take my advice, which ever you go with, make sure they eat frozen mysid, or you will be in for some large "grocery bills" for your horses, (I was spending $100 a week on ghost shrimp alone for 6 H. Riedi :eek:... They are now all eating frozen mysid... only took a year :rolleyes: ).

Robert

BCOrchidGuy
03-10-2005, 11:49 PM
yep I was bringing up live shrimp from Las Vegas, sometimes they made it through customs, other times a bag of 100 would dissapear when customs inspected the package... got expensive real quick. Aaron is good and is always willing to answer questions. I think it was Beverly who found out that just because Seahorses are eating frozen when they are shipped doesn't always mean they will eat frozen when you get them unpacked. Be prepared.

Doug

Snappy
03-11-2005, 05:51 AM
I have been on those sites and have been researching and thinking about this for a while now. I just bought one of Jonathon's(Canadian Man) tank contents which included a pipe fish, so that clinched it for me to get going on the seahorse thing and create a like species tank. FYI I plan to only buy captive bred. Thanks for the input and the warnings. I appreciate it, I will talk to Aaron.
Greg

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2005, 09:29 AM
On Sunday, at OA, I picked up a back issue of "Coral The Marine Aquarium Magazine", Feb./Mar.04 Vol.1/Number 1 & it's devoted to Seahorse rearing, including breeding & raising the fry to maturity. The front cover has a picture of a baby seahorse emerging from it's Potbellied Daddy, so I couldn't resist. I'm a sucker for a pregnant male :eek: (The pic is actually in AI MAN's member gallery.)

Great pics, awesome articles, real good info & details & best of all, only about 10% of the magazine was ads! It's has better, newer info on rearing captive-breds than alot of books out there so for $12, it was worth the investment IMO. If you're into seahorses, the pictures are amazing. You can actually see pics of them mating, giving birth, etc. Tells you how to set up breeding tanks & rearing tanks. Food.... It definitely goes into my "To Keep" shelf. I love the internet (who doesn't, eh :biggrin: ) but I still like the feel of opening a good book or magazine to get some good info. Recommend you look into picking one up if you want a small but comprehensive Seahorse reference :biggrin:

Anthony "SeaHorse FANATIC!!!"

BCOrchidGuy
03-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes for sure I love books as well. Good luck with the horses. I had a couple of pipe fish in my 90 and they were way cool but they can be hard to keep. Make sure you have lots of pods that's what mine ate almost exclusively but they did go after a few PE Mysis.

Doug

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2005, 04:19 PM
PS. Magazine about Seahorse care is from 2004. (My bad....Hey, it was 3 am)

Willow
03-11-2005, 04:29 PM
that magazine rocks.. i bought the nano tank issue yesterday, lots of great photos and articles. the ads are few and far between.

cc_bruno
03-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Anthony, did you happen to see if there were any more of those magazines left? I'd love to get one for my collection, (especially since it looks like one of my males may be pregnant :eek: ... time to build another nursery in the house :biggrin: ).

Robert

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2005, 05:42 PM
Yup they do.

cc_bruno
03-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Excellent... Gives me another reason to go out there and buy more corals :biggrin:

Robert