PDA

View Full Version : UPDATED PICS: Baby Bangaii Cardinal

Chin_Lee
03-10-2005, 05:49 AM
A few months ago, I noticed my pair of bangaiis doing "funny" things around a rock. One was quivering/shiverring really close beside the other one. I didn't think much of it. Today, I was cleaning up a flood in my basement when I noticed a rather large pod in my sump. I usually have tons of pods swimming up down and around the sump but this guy was huge. I looked closer and its a baby bangaii cardinal :biggrin: I'm so happy - its about 3/8" long and i think its been feeding on the pods because there's no other food source in that area of the sump. I tried taking a picture but not having any success.

Is there anything I should do to ensure its survival? I'm thinking if its gotten that big by itself, I should just leave it to get more mature.

Update 2005-03-11
Well I can't find the baby bangaii that was in my sump anymore but then I found one "hosting" in my elegance. I know it didn't get pumped up there or else it would be dead from the mak4 but here a pic of it:
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/2364406-med.JPG

In comparison to my cleaner shrimp (which is rather large anyways),

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/236144_4408a-med.JPG

I've put a thin line yellow circle around the baby bangaii to show where it is.
I suspect I have a few more around hiding but I will keep looking. Its kinda cool to see. I hope I get a few little babies that survive.

Willow
03-10-2005, 05:52 AM
dude thats so cool! i have no idea what to feed him but if you start breeding them sign me up for some :mrgreen:

EmilyB
03-10-2005, 06:11 AM
When I had my breeding Cardinals, some always ended up in the overflows...upon the attempted rescue they usually ended up in the sump...but WHOA they wanna live. If they are bigger than a bug...heheh (right Christy) they will eat. NEVER flake tho.

:eek:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-10-2005, 06:16 AM
That's a Wow!! Too bad I didn't see it when I was there :cry:

Good luck. I'll bring you some Hikari mysis (smaller) next time I'm around.

Anthony

megatron_55
03-10-2005, 06:25 AM
Thats so cool dude!! . . . post pic soon I wanna see it! . . . Hey chin . . . I still owe u a coral for the pink tip frog spawn . . . what do you want in return??? LMK!!

kari
03-10-2005, 12:18 PM
I put one in the fuge and forgot about it. It still lived. The next bunch I put in the fuge with a brine shrimp hatchery. They also went nuts on frozen and fresh foods.

Doug
03-10-2005, 01:45 PM
Mine also ended up in my large overflows. My 225 had lower sump flow and I had lots of rubble in the overflows. They were full of baby mysid shrimps. I assume thats what the young bangaii ate.

I fed freeze dried cyclop-eeze to the overflows. You could see the little red pellets in the translucent shrimp bellies, which then were eated bu the bangaii.

I watched the young bangaii eat some of the cyclop-eeze. I also used frozen brine shrimp and mushed it as fine as I could.

danny zubot
03-10-2005, 02:32 PM
You know your doing something right when things work out like that. Post pics ASAP Chin!

Chin_Lee
03-11-2005, 03:25 PM
Well i got some good pics and added to the original post. The one in the sump is missing and I found another one in my display tank.

Hey Willow
I'm going to heat you up for some cyclopeeze to supplement their diet. :biggrin: since you did offer ......

cwlee

muck
03-11-2005, 03:30 PM
That is always nice to find unexpected fry in your tank.
Thanks for posting some pics!!
I wonder how many more you will find...? :mrgreen: