PDA

View Full Version : Brand new 10K MH bulbs yellow

Jeff
03-10-2005, 03:32 AM
I have a few brand new 10K bulbs, been on the tank for about two weeks and four weeks now (I staggered them). They are horribly grotesquely yellow in colour. They are much more yellow than the 1 year 10K (same brand) that they are replacing. Picked up from a local store just over a year ago. Bought 4 on boxing day.

Has anyone encountered bad bulbs before?

I'm aware MH bulbs are yellowish when first used until they break in. These are well past any usual break-in phase that I've experienced before.

Could perhaps my ballast be going? Would that affect bulb colour temperature? My ballast is quite old. I've been reef keeping for about 10 years and I still have my original Hamilton dual ballast.

It's really quite bugging me so if anyone has some thoughts I'd appreciate it.

Cheers

Invigor
03-10-2005, 03:47 AM
it could be the kind of bulb you're running on a certain kind of ballast. aqualine bushke 10000k don't look good unless they're on an HQI ballast

Chin_Lee
03-10-2005, 06:47 AM
what brand bulbs are they Jeff? I had a SA 10000 k bulb that was very yellow for about 4 weeks and now its either less yellow or I've become accustom.

danny zubot
03-10-2005, 03:01 PM
Could you test your old bulb against the new bulb on someone elses balast?

Jeff
03-11-2005, 03:32 AM
All good suggestions. I'm pretty sure it's not the "brand" of bulb as I bought four and the two I used for the past year were just fine with the same ballast.

Trying it on someone elses ballast sounds like a good plan. The colour is SO yellow it's actually quite distracting to the eye, especially since I tend to favour a very white light.

Bob I
03-11-2005, 04:09 AM
Could perhaps my ballast be going? Would that affect bulb colour temperature? My ballast is quite old. I've been reef keeping for about 10 years and I still have my original Hamilton dual ballast.

Cheers

If your ballast runs your old bulbs with no problem, I would say the problem is not the ballast. It sounds like a defective bulb. :eek:

Quinster
03-11-2005, 01:02 PM
I purchased 2 of the same brand 250W 10000K bulbs..1 fired up right away and looked like a 14 000K, the other took a while but when it fired it looked like a 6500K, contacted the retailer who sent me a replacement and when I fired it, it looked like a 10 000K which really threw off the look of the 14 000K looking one, so another was sent out, it was between the 10 and 14K's...so I picked the closest 2 (after 4 months of emails and wondering what to do) and sent the other 2 back. They were all the same bulb, same K rating running on the same type of ballasts.

Aquattro
03-11-2005, 01:58 PM
One manufaturer in particular sells 175w 10k, and from my experience, 60%-70% have that yellow color that makes the tank looked peed in....
Some are ok, but more often than not, at least last year, more were yellow instead of white.

Moral of the story...even if youhave some from the same place, the replacements certainly could be yellow.

Invigor
03-11-2005, 02:54 PM
maybe they're cheapy japanese bulbs or something not up to snuff on german mh fishtank colors?

Jeff
03-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Which manufacturer is that that has 60-70% yellow bulbs?

Thanks

Bob I
03-12-2005, 05:53 PM

Thanks

Don't want to identify manufacturer and start another go around, so sent PM with info. :biggrin:

Aquattro
03-12-2005, 07:23 PM

Thanks

Don't want to identify manufacturer and start another go around, so sent PM with info. :biggrin:

Hey, me too!! :razz:

Jeff
03-12-2005, 09:18 PM
Well the one you guys both independantly said is the one that I have.

Awesome.

That sucks.

Willow
03-12-2005, 09:57 PM
what’s up with the secrecy? why cant the rest of us know what bulbs are junk?

Bob I
03-12-2005, 11:59 PM

Because the last time we did that, the seller of the bulbs came back with a lot of arguments, and recriminations. I for one don't want to start that crap all over again. :eek:

I was reimbursed for my bulb, so I am leaving it alone. :mrgreen:

bluetang
03-13-2005, 12:04 AM
Snoop Dog bought two 250w 10k ushio's and they are pee yellow. I'm sticking with AB's

Willow
03-14-2005, 09:24 AM

Because the last time we did that, the seller of the bulbs came back with a lot of arguments, and recriminations. I for one don't want to start that crap all over again. :eek:

what did you sign a non disclosure? thanks for looking out for the rest of us :neutral:

StirCrazy
03-14-2005, 12:55 PM

what did you sign a non disclosure? thanks for looking out for the rest of us :neutral:

It was a new company who had a bad run of 175's the 250's weren't bad and I still use them as they are one of the highest PAR output bulbs I have tested yet, and the slight yellow off the bulb is non existent with actinic lighting on. But there 175's were weird, no two bulbs seamed to look the same. apparently though that has been corrected if I remember correctly?

Steve