PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Question

corper
03-10-2005, 02:28 AM
In a MH light setup, is it necessary to have VHO or compact lighting worked into the setup (not including actinic lighting, I know why to use that). I was just reading that I should because of the shimmering created by the MH lights. Apparently the flourscent light helps give a more constant light source or some crap like that. Anyone know what I'm talking about or care to comment on the subject? The reason I am asking is I have a 48" T5 fixture and I'm wondering if I should work it into the MH light setup in my hood?

danny zubot
03-10-2005, 02:58 PM
I think the reason people integrate suppliment light is to add to the diversity of light spectrums. Surely in an ideal situation a person could have one of each 10K, 14K, 20K MH bulbs and so on, but this is difficult and expensive to achieve. By adding florescent to MH lights in a variety of spectrums and wavelenghts you can acieve the proper light dosage and "look" of tank that you want.

The shimmering effect is what occures in nature so I wouldn't validate that reason.

StirCrazy
03-11-2005, 12:14 AM
the shimmer is actualy nice and benificial in some theorys. no need to flatten out the light unless you don't like the look of the shimmer but even so it will still be there as a PC or VHO isn't stong enuf to get rid of it.

the only PC or VHO I would work into a MH system is actinics to adjust the color to how you like it.

Oh if you don't like the shimmer then just calm down the surface water in the tank as it is from the reflection from the water ripples.

Steve

corper
03-13-2005, 07:47 PM
I love the shimmer. Its one of the reasons I switched to Mh lighting. The info I read just made it seem as though it was damaging and needed to be evened out.

I talked to Wendal at OA. He said the atintic lights I'm adding is suplimental light. I guess what the article was trying to say was any suplimental light would be good.