PDA

View Full Version : Base rock?

AndyL
03-09-2005, 11:50 PM
Does anyone have (or know of where to find) some nice base rock? I need some for the new pred tank, but so far, all I've run across is big ugly solid hunks of granite(?), and texas holey rock - that costs as much as live rock. Found some volcanic rocks, but I need some footballish sized peices, and it all seemed to be smaller than a baseball in size.

LMK,

Andy

Snappy
03-10-2005, 05:31 AM
They often have some pretty cool rock at Riverfront, although it's not cheap.

danny zubot
03-11-2005, 04:35 PM
If your looking for something just to build on and doesn't have to be live you might try going to Burco. They usualy sell by the tonne so a few pieces will be pretty cheep. They should have lava, feather and maybe tuffa rock.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Check out local landscaping places. In the Lower Mainland, I go to Quadra Stone. Just know what type of rock you need & what is safe.

Anthony

danny zubot
03-11-2005, 06:24 PM
That kind of what Burnco is, just huge piles of rocks and gravel and bricks. Its a freshy tank keeper dream. 5 gallon buckets of really nice gravel for about $5 as opposed to $50.

takphan
03-14-2005, 12:26 AM
try this
http://www.canreef.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13180&highlight=ornamental

i use limestone for my "foundation" then some moon rock and tufa then my live rocks

about 3/4 of my rock in the FOWLR tank is "non-live" when started.

even $6/lbs still too much for my 135 gal

while you are at Ornamental and not afraid of silica, check out their white sand.
good deal @ $6/cubic foot

Tak

vertex
03-14-2005, 02:38 AM
Hi I noticed your looking for some base rock and I also found my old post in the link about building base rock.

If you or someone else is interested, I have two peices left over (didn't fit in my 33 gallon) from the base rock that I made. It is all cured (3 months) in freshwater and dry right now. You should just put it in saltwater for a week or so and then it can go in your tank. I did this with the rest of mine and all went well.

Anyway, its only 2 pieces left (they weight 7 lbs together). Here is a pic
http://img228.exs.cx/img228/258/img51159sz.jpg

I will sell em for $10 total. I know you're looking for more, but that is all I have left and it might add more variety in your rock...

Ryan
03-14-2005, 02:41 AM
I was just in animal world yesterday they had 2 tanks full 4.99 a pound if you want a road trip.

Fish
03-15-2005, 04:53 PM
You need to check out Ornamental ____ Supply off of 64 avenue N. (Sorry I forgot the name, starts with "ornamental" though).
They have huge containers full of tufa rock so you can pick out different shapes. It sells for around $0.40/lb !!!; infact, they didn't think that the 10lb rock I chose was even worth their time to ring through so they just gave it to me for free (personal results may vary :mrgreen: )
Anyways, it has been working good for me so far. Besides, their tufa has, visually, just as much aquatic life on it as the "live rock" sold in our LFSs :razz: . I'm hoping that the beneficial bacteria will move over from my live rock and seed this stuff. Hope this helps.

- Chad

SJSobczyk
03-16-2005, 08:19 PM
Could it be this one?

Ornamental Garden Supplies
28 Aero Road NE
275-5550

If it is, i might have to make a trip up north.

SJSobczyk

Fish
03-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Thats the one! You just go East from Deerfoot on 64ave, turn South at the "T" and it will be on your left hand side a block or so down. I hope it works for you!

- Chad