PDA

View Full Version : Black Ciano

KrazyKuch
03-09-2005, 11:47 PM
I have a really bad Ciano problem....I heard that their is a snail or a fish or something that feeds off the stuff....can someone please tell me what they are called so I can go buy one asap!!!

Or if anyone knows of another way of getting ride of the stuff!!!

Invigor
03-10-2005, 12:27 AM
ew i don't think anything eats it. but a gravel vac and persistance will work to conquer it. and it's cyano

KrazyKuch
03-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Thanx for the spelling correction....This stuff is quite annoying it keeps growing on my corrals and everything, grow's over my Zoo's and polyps I just got to get ride of the stuff!!!

Coldwater
03-10-2005, 12:34 AM
This cyano people talk about what does it look like? Why does everyone hate it?

Matt

Nemo
03-10-2005, 12:38 AM

Matt

It looks like green slime, and can be stringgy. People hate it because it looks terrible and sufficates your corals.

Best way I foud for getting rid of it was getting a bigger skimmer and over skim, along with sucking it out of the tank with a siphon.

Robert

Invigor
03-10-2005, 12:51 AM

Matt

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Algae%20and%20Plt%20Pix/BlueGreenAlgae/Cyano.jpg

Coldwater
03-10-2005, 01:50 AM
Oh geez. That stuff is all over my tank! It doesnt seem to go away no matter how much I skim or take out! Well at least I only have only one coral(devils Hand). I think I will leave it for now. Its FOWLR for me. Thanks for the picture Invigor.

Matt :neutral: :confused:

Skimmerking
03-10-2005, 02:11 AM
ya i had it all over my 120 when i first started out check out my gallery i will post a address here of my 120 when it was in bloom, but it never stopped me ...

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/292red_slime-med.gif?243

mike

Coldwater
03-10-2005, 02:29 AM
WOW thats alot. It doesnt really look that bad.

Matt

michika
03-10-2005, 02:44 AM
So does it eventually go away? How does it develop or get into a tank system?

Bob I
03-10-2005, 03:14 AM

Yes it will go away on its own. Every new tank appears to have the right conditions for its proliferation. But not to worry, it will go away. Skimming will not help, but Fighting Conches will eat it. :biggrin:

Bob I
03-10-2005, 03:16 AM
it keeps growing on my corrals and everything,

Most people keep horses in corrals :razz: :razz: :razz: :razz:

michika
03-10-2005, 03:38 AM
Its horrible. Will reducing my photo period have an impact on its growth rate?

Fighting Conches it is, tomorrow can't come fast enough!

Nemo
03-10-2005, 04:07 AM

Yes it will go away on its own. Every new tank appears to have the right conditions for its proliferation. But not to worry, it will go away. Skimming will not help, but Fighting Conches will eat it. :biggrin:

I disagree when I was told to increase my skimming is when it finnaly started to go away. The more skimming I did the faster it went, along with sucking it out.

michika
03-10-2005, 04:11 AM
Well we are already skimming as much as possible, so aside from the fighting conch and skimming is there anything else that I/we can do to make the problem vanish a little faster?

danny zubot
03-10-2005, 03:17 PM
First off I'd like to note that if is black cyano you have a bigger problem than you think. There was a forum a while ago about cyano that was left unchecked, it began to turn black when the bacteria started to die. This could crash your tank.

In addition to skimming well and siphoning, you might also try "Red Slime remover" which is a powder you can mix and add to the tank to rid it of this evil infestation.

Skimmerking
03-10-2005, 03:21 PM
a turkey baster along with taking it out everyday . the red slime that i had was cynao and it lasted for 2-3 months ,but mine was bad. i had a good skimmering going to a euroreef and i ran carbon for atleast 1 month.

mike

p.s i never heard of black cynao

michika
03-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Its not black cyano, its dark red cyano...it is cyano though, not dead, but alive.

The daily regimen is turkey baster in the morning, turkey baster in the evening with lots of skimming in between.

Bob I
03-10-2005, 03:28 PM
p.s i never heard of black cynao

Well Mike, when I kept SW fish in Vancouver in the late seventies, the slime algea we battled was jet black. It was black under the Gro-Lux lamps we used, and in natural sunlight. :eek:

OCDP
03-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Bah, cyano is no fun. I still get a bit of it now and then. Honestly, the mos efficient way to remove it, is to use airline tubing and siphon it out. Don't let any float around in the tank, be very careful of this, as you are trying to rid the system of it, and leaving leftovers isn't going to solve your problem.

Increase flow to the areas where cyano is growing most too, this helps. And I second the chemical advice, if all else fails, try the red slime remover, or chemiclean.

nanosteve
03-10-2005, 07:54 PM
I've been battling cyano for a couple months, and am now getting on top of it (I think). Here are some of the things I've done: increased circulation (added another PH), reduced phosphates (added poly filters, and rowaphos), small carbon changes weekly, new filter floss a couple of times each week, reduced feedings, vacuuming front portion of substrate once a week, and stirring substrate a couple of times each week.

It hasn't stopped completely, but better maintenance has helped. I'm hoping time will help too, as some of the vets have attested to.

Steve