PDA

View Full Version : instant ocean vs reef crystals

Invigor
03-09-2005, 07:09 PM
I've noticed in a few LFSs that there's a product by IO called reef crystals that's substantially more then regular IO? does anyone use this mix of salt? I'm assuming there are just more minerals in it?

BCOrchidGuy
03-09-2005, 10:22 PM
If I'm not mistaken it's IO's version of Kent and Marine Environment. It's got added calcium and trace elements. The always controversial S-15 pretty much rips it apart, S-15 rips every salt apart except ME and Bio Sea both of which are manufactured by the company that commissioned the S-15 report.
Myself I like Kent salt, it's made by IO but it has an enhancement package that kent has prepared off site and shipped to IO for adding into the salt IO produces and packages for Kent.
I got a sample of a new salt on the market Ocean pure and I'll see what it looks like. The sales rep says it's got great buffering capacity and it's very consistant.

Doug

Snappy
03-10-2005, 06:34 AM
I use reef crystals and am happy with the results. It has more trace elements and other good stuff like calcium.

megatron_55
03-10-2005, 07:18 AM
I use crystal sea ... Anyone heared of it before? . . . thats what I thought . . . Im pretty sure they're all the same when it comes down to it . . . besides check out my tank :biggrin:

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/508/1449full_canreef.JPG

Not bad eh?? :biggrin: Note that thats a 27gal thriving nano reef . . . been running for about a year and two months . . . Notice the acro's (top middle right and one just behind the blue tang)??? My lights are PC's :mrgreen:

danny zubot
03-10-2005, 03:07 PM
I'd like to add that I used to use Kent more often than I do now. I have only experienced Ca+ issues since using IO exclusively. I'll be switching back to Kent or try Reef Crystals in the future.