PDA

View Full Version : flame hawkfish experiences

christyf5
03-08-2005, 05:46 PM
Wondering about reef tank compatibility, coral perching etc.

TIA,

Christy :)

Bob I
03-09-2005, 01:17 AM
I had one for quite awhile. It is generally a very good fish. They do perch on top of rocks, and may do so on corals too. I would not try to keep one if you have shrimp, as they like to snack on those. :eek:

chwkreefer
03-09-2005, 09:01 AM
I had one for quite awhile. It is generally a very good fish. They do perch on top of rocks, and may do so on corals too. I would not try to keep one if you have shrimp, as they like to snack on those. :eek:

I will second everything noted above. Very interesting fish, voracious appetite and definitely don't bother having them in a tank with shrimp.

BMW Rider
03-09-2005, 02:11 PM
I too am planning to get a flame hawk, but it'll be going into my FO tank not the reef. The only invert in there is a huge hermit that is much too big for the hawkfish to snack on. I've heard of mixed results with hawkfish in a reef environment, but the flame is considered as one of the safer ones.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-09-2005, 04:22 PM
I have a very large freckled (approaching 4") & it never bothers any corals. It used to not bother inverts either, but I suspect him in the disappear/death of a couple of cleaners & a peppermint. My fault for tempting him with his natural diet :cry: :redface: Sometimes hawks will find a favourite coral, like a toadstool, & perch on it several times a day. That's about the only way mine ever irritated a coral.

Anthony