PDA

View Full Version : chrome eggcrate ?

andestang
03-07-2005, 11:58 PM
Just wondering if anyone has used the chrome eggcrate instead of the white. Wondering what the results were. Also have heard people using black, but I've never seen what that looks like.

Beverly
03-08-2005, 01:23 AM
Not an expert on eggcrate, but think the chrome isn't real chrome just chrome-looking spray paint. Would bet salt would corrode it rather easily. JMO, though.

Tarolisol
03-08-2005, 05:23 AM
What do you plan on using it for, if its to cover the top of a tank i think it would work well, but its expensive compared to white. I wouldnt waste my money to use it on overflows.

Rikko
03-08-2005, 06:48 AM
I doubt there would be any positive returns, really. The chrome will reflect light whereas the white is refracting it. The net amount of light is still going to be practically the same. That and, as Beverly said, the paint that can chip and corrode makes not worth the added investment imo.

Then again, I just really like white. :)

Tom R
03-08-2005, 04:29 PM
It does not matter if it is Chrome or Paint, my rule is to keep foreign matter out of my tanks. If it is not found in the ocean then it should not be in the tank. There are exceptions that you will have to decide on their true requirement.

Tom R

andestang
03-08-2005, 09:30 PM
What do you plan on using it for
Yes I was wondering about using it for a cover - just a passing thought :idea: :rolleyes:

Azilla
03-08-2005, 09:56 PM
dont use it the salt will turn it black i tryed overtop of my fuge its crappy stuff

Nemain
03-08-2005, 09:59 PM
just stick with the white!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Wow. Sounds like a consensus to me. :biggrin:

PS. You can add my name to the "don't do it" list.

Anthony

Rikko
03-08-2005, 11:13 PM
I was assuming it was a cover as well. Also bear in mind there's and up and down side to eggcrate if you're using it for a tank. I don't remember exactly how you tell (check the DIY forum on RC for massive, incredibly boring discussions on the matter), but its designed to rereflect light that's bouncing back up back down again.

My brain hurts just thinking about it.

BCOrchidGuy
03-09-2005, 10:06 PM
There was a thread on The Krib about egg crate a few years ago, the white (actually flat white) was rated as one of the best for directing light down into a plant tank. There is an upside and a down side for sure. When you look at egg crate it will have one side where the waffle is thicker than the other. The thick side goes up and it (theoretically) should reflect up to 25% more light into the aquarium. I'm not sure how much the height of the light above the egg crate has to do with it but I'm sure it's a factor.
Steve any chance you've measured light intensity under egg crate vs no egg crate?

Doug