it might as well be a toilet now...

vanreefer
03-07-2005, 09:07 AM
thats tide with bleach level... :eek:

adidas
03-07-2005, 09:11 AM
thats tide with bleach level... :eek:

:evil: i know:(

hopefully i can save all my crabs from certain death...hope they survive the night. Weird how al of a sudden i have a huge amount of bristle worms and little bugs now, guess they aren't affected. :confused:

Beverly
03-07-2005, 01:54 PM
adidas,

Are you cycling a new tank? Added uncured rock to your tank? What the heck are you doing to get such high ammonia levels? Details of your current set up, please.

adidas
03-07-2005, 10:27 PM
adidas,

Are you cycling a new tank? Added uncured rock to your tank? What the heck are you doing to get such high ammonia levels? Details of your current set up, please.

when i tore down my main tank, i moved over some of its water and some rock to my 10 gallon. i had 1 fish in there and for some reason my ammonia spiked. :confused:

Beverly
03-07-2005, 11:16 PM
That's too bad :sad: Hopefully, when you have the chance to set up the large tank again, you will have all your rock cured and tank cycled for awhile before adding any fish, corals and inverts.

adidas
03-08-2005, 01:08 AM
That's too bad :sad: Hopefully, when you have the chance to set up the large tank again, you will have all your rock cured and tank cycled for awhile before adding any fish, corals and inverts.

how could my cured rock become uncured when it hasn't been out of water longer than 16 seconds? :confused:

Beverly
03-08-2005, 01:19 AM
how could my cured rock become uncured when it hasn't been out of water longer than 16 seconds? :confused:

Maybe it isn't the rock that's causing the problem, but something must have died in there to have ammonia at 8 ppm :eek:

adidas
03-08-2005, 01:29 AM

Maybe it isn't the rock that's causing the problem, but something must have died in there to have ammonia at 8 ppm :eek:

alot has died but i got the dead stuff out right away, or so i thought. :confused:

bulletsworld
03-08-2005, 06:16 PM
when i tore down my main tank, i moved over some of its water and some rock to my 10 gallon. i had 1 fish in there and for some reason my ammonia spiked. :confused:

Hope along with the rock and water you moved over, I hope you also moved over established filter media. I’m meaning sponges that came from your main tank that are covered in bacteria (longer then 3mths at least). Also having water flow is also a factor as well. If not it would be like your cycling a new tank. The un-established water would create a spike becoming unbalanced water chemistry and as soon as that happened your rock would have a little die off (inverts, algae doesn’t tolerate ammonia) and WHAM a HUGE ammonia spike!

Remember the smaller the tank the less room for error. :sad:

adidas
03-09-2005, 06:21 AM

Hope along with the rock and water you moved over, I hope you also moved over established filter media. I’m meaning sponges that came from your main tank that are covered in bacteria (longer then 3mths at least). Also having water flow is also a factor as well. If not it would be like your cycling a new tank. The un-established water would create a spike becoming unbalanced water chemistry and as soon as that happened your rock would have a little die off (inverts, algae doesn’t tolerate ammonia) and WHAM a HUGE ammonia spike!

i recently cleand my Eheim filter i was running, so it doesn't have any bacteria anymore. I did, however transfer established water, and i have the eheim running again on it now.
And i saved all my crabs at least! :neutral: i'm just letting the little tank cycle now. i'll test levels tomorrow and see whats happening.

Willow
03-09-2005, 07:35 AM

i recently cleand my Eheim filter i was running, so it doesn't have any bacteria anymore. I did, however transfer established water, and i have the eheim running again on it now.
And i saved all my crabs at least! :neutral: i'm just letting the little tank cycle now. i'll test levels tomorrow and see whats happening.

a wad of cheato might help, well if you ammonia is the consistancy of urine it won't but it might suck up some trace nitrates.

Beverly
03-09-2005, 12:33 PM

When cleaning any filter media, remember to use outgoing changewater. This will preserve the beneficial bacteria in the media. Also there is almost no bacteria in the water from an established tank.

BCOrchidGuy
03-09-2005, 01:00 PM
I know a lot of people dont buy into the idea of pre packaged live sand but if you buy a bag of that Aragolive or similar product it will help. It won't seed your sand bed with worms etc but it WILL help with the bacteria colonization.

Doug