PDA

View Full Version : help me pick the next angel

Skimmerking
03-07-2005, 01:40 AM
ok my 62 gal is 36x20x20 and i had a 4 yr old coral beauty and it went to fishie heaven after my cuke wanted to eat my powerhead.

I know that dwarf angels like SPS and clams , now i hav a clam in the tank and the coral beauty i had never touched it. it's hit and miss . But i would like to get another dwarf angel.

what would you get

coral Beauty
potter's
flame
bi color
cherub

mike

snaggle
03-07-2005, 01:55 AM
I would get a lemon peal or a flame.

Brad

Skimmerking
03-07-2005, 02:21 AM
I think BOB I had problems with his ....

ended up getting rid of him

mike

Bob I
03-07-2005, 02:26 AM
I did sell the Lemon peel, but, no I did not have a problem with it. I am actually thinking of getting another one. They are, however, hit and miss. All the literature states they are the worst of the dwarf angels. :eek:

Skimmerking
03-07-2005, 02:34 AM
thanks for sorting that out Bob, would recommend the lemon peel or the flame or the bi color.

mike

Tarolisol
03-07-2005, 02:38 AM
i would pass on the bi color, they have poor survival rates in captivity. Id go flame.

Invigor
03-07-2005, 02:39 AM
heh, I like them all. A potters would be neat, not a lot of people I know have one.

Skimmerking
03-07-2005, 02:41 AM
i have read about the potters are a picky eater/..

mike

muck
03-07-2005, 04:06 AM
I have a Whitetail Pygmy Angel (Centropyge Flavicauda) and he is awesome. Great little fish!! See him out and about all the time and hasn't touched anything yet. I do have a fair number of SPS but no Clams.

EmilyB
03-07-2005, 04:09 AM
Yes, I was going to say that clams are where the reef/angel thing really breaks down. Especially the lemon peels. :frown:

Willow
03-07-2005, 04:26 AM
get a yellow mimic tang. reef safe and they think they are angels.

AJ_77
03-07-2005, 04:43 AM
Yes, I was going to say that clams are where the reef/angel thing really breaks down. Especially the lemon peels. :frown:
yup, I had a clam with my Lemonpeel for a couple of weeks, but in the end the clam was easier to catch... :razz:

Beautiful, spirited fish though - don't regret it one bit. If you can find a good strong healthy one (preferably from Fiji or thereabouts), I would do it. They are amazing. :cool:

Richer
03-07-2005, 04:55 AM
I just got my lemon peel on Saturday from another reefer... though I've only had it for a short while, its quickly turning into one of my favorite fish.

http://www.telusplanet.net/public/metroopt/Aquarium/lemon1.jpg
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/metroopt/Aquarium/lemon2.jpg

The former owner informed me that it has picked on a open brain and colt coral in the past. I currently have it living in my refugium with nothing but some macro algae and some red mushrooms.

-Rich

Cap'n
03-07-2005, 04:59 AM
Flame angel. Reletively safe, and where else can you find that vibrant red?

muck
03-07-2005, 05:01 AM
Nice pics Rich. I would have gotten a lemon-peel had I not got the Whitetail pygmy.

Is that your lighting that makes the pics looks really yellow or my crummy monitor?

Richer
03-07-2005, 05:04 AM
Nice pics Rich. I would have gotten a lemon-peel had I not got the Whitetail pygmy.

Is that your lighting that makes the pics looks really yellow or my crummy monitor?

Thanks.

Its my lights that make the picture look yellow. I'm running a 6500k bulb over my refugium.

-Rich

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-07-2005, 06:19 AM
I loved my Cherub angel & dwarf dwarfs are generally the most reef-safe angels.

My other favourite is the lemon peel.

Anthony

Reefhawk1
03-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Nice pic of the old boy rich. :biggrin: My favorite fish is the flame Angel. I have had mine for over a year and it is doing great in my reef tank.

Stan

AJ_77
03-07-2005, 02:23 PM
I just got my lemon peel on Saturday from another reefer... though I've only had it for a short while, its quickly turning into one of my favorite fish.
http://www.telusplanet.net/public/metroopt/Aquarium/lemon2.jpg
...I currently have it living in my refugium with nothing but some macro algae and some red mushrooms.

-Rich
You fatten that baby up now, Rich. :cool:

danny zubot
03-07-2005, 02:23 PM
Good choice with the lemon peel. Flames are hit and miss just for survival. I've owned two Flames and although I lost both the first one was my fault (rock slide) and the second died for unknown reasons.

rickjames
03-07-2005, 05:31 PM
For what its worth, my Fisher's dwarf angel is a model reef citizen and IMO looks great! He looks a lot better then some of the pictures on the web, bright blue on the fins and an almost black body. I read somewhere that they are one of the better dwarf's to keep in a reef tank for not eating things. Plus they only grow to a max of 3", so he does well in my 30G.