PDA

View Full Version : copper and salt water

bullit67
03-06-2005, 05:49 PM
Has any one had or herad of any problems with copper and other metels on a salt water system I am having a temp problem and I found A possable solution it is a axilery heater core with 2 12v fans on the housing

Any help would be great

Aquattro
03-06-2005, 05:53 PM
copper + salt water = bad. trace amounts of copper will kill any and all inverts, and probably make it so the tank will never house them safely again. Avoid copper at all costs.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-06-2005, 06:13 PM
If copper gets into your tank, it will probably make your expensive LR into useless boulders. If you then use the rocks in a new tank, the copper would probably leach out & kill that tank as well. Copper in a medication tank may be of some use in certain situations but Copper in a main display tank is extremely bad news. Just ask the Vancouver Aquarium. In the late 70s or early 80s, someone accidentally dosed their system with copper sulphate & wiped out thousands of fish. It has never been the same since, although lately it is becoming worth visiting again. In glass tanks, copper may impregnate your silicone (from what I've read & heard, but I've never tested this myself).

Anthony

BCOrchidGuy
03-06-2005, 06:51 PM
The heater core is probably soldered as well which means lead would get into your system which isn't good either. There are lots of threads on DIY chillers/coolers just take a look you'll probably be able to find something that can meet your needs and not break the bank.

Doug

bullit67
03-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Yah I thought about it after I posted it and reailsed how dumb of a question it was of corse copper is bad for a reef :rolleyes: duu. But what do they use for a coil in a chiller ?

KrazyKuch
03-06-2005, 11:58 PM
Prob stainless....but if it is copper then what you do is put the chiller in a tank of water then run a hose through that water, then run your tank water through that hose!!!

vanreefer
03-07-2005, 04:05 AM
Yah I thought about it after I posted it and reailsed how dumb of a question it was of corse copper is bad for a reef :rolleyes: duu. But what do they use for a coil in a chiller ?

most chillers use a titanium coil for the heat exchange