PDA

View Full Version : Another "help me choose fish to stock my tank" thr

trilinearmipmap
03-06-2005, 04:36 PM
Yes I am sure everyone is sick of reading threads like this but here goes anyways.

I am looking for a final one or two fish for my 120g softie/LPS reef.

Current inhabitants include a yellow tang, hippo tang, two ocellaris clowns, one spotted mandarin, and two coral banded shrimp.

The issues in stocking this tank include I don't want any fish that would eat the shrimp, or eat my feather dusters or corals, or fight with my tangs, or eat the mandarin. I'd also like fish that will be "front and centre" rather than hiding in the rockwork. Also nothing like a 6-line wrasse that would decimate my pod population, I need the pods for the mandarin. Also whatever fish I get has to eat prepared food as mysis feedings are rare and occasional.

And finally I want bright colorful fish.

The ones I have thought of include:

Purple tang -- but I am probably already over-tanged
A pair of spendidus mandarins -- may or may not coexist with my spotted mandarin
School of chromis -- but I've read about how these usually kill each other off one by on
Flasher or fairy wrasse -- would it eat all the pods though?
Watanabei angel -- can't find one anywhere
Doliatus rabbitfish -- can't find one anywhere

Any advice would be appreciated.

Aquattro
03-06-2005, 04:41 PM
The wrasse would be fine, they don't eat pods(much), but they are notorious for jumping. If your tank is covered, I'd pick the wrasse.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Coral Ocean has Zebra striped angels (male & female) in right now. Colin also gets in Lamark's angels occasionally and he's willing to ship. (pm me if you need contact info) The Genicanthus family are supposed to be reef-safe.

My other choice would also be a nice male flasher wrasse. I've seen these listed at J&L & Denman P.G. & I think OA might be getting some in too.

Anthony

PS. From what I've heard, chromis do tend to pick on the weakest one so the school gets smaller & smaller.

BCOrchidGuy
03-06-2005, 06:53 PM
I've had the Blue sided fairy wrasse's and they were absolutely unbelievably pretty fish. I never had one jump and I had an un covered tank but I have heard lots of horror stories regarding the issue.

Doug

bailey7424
03-06-2005, 07:24 PM
I have a bicolour angel that fits with my tank that includes corals. Would a coral beauty angel be one consideration and how about a royal gramma?

Jaws
03-06-2005, 08:10 PM
A flame angel is a great addition if you're looking for color and reef compatability.

Beverly
03-06-2005, 08:26 PM
Check further into the Genicanthus family. I think most of them grow quite large. Considering the two tangs you have already that will grow to be big fish, another large one may not be a good choice.

Dwarf angels can be beautiful, but are not always reef safe. I've got a flame back dwarf in a softie tank that only hits on the occasional snail but leaves the star polyp, mushrooms and xenia alone.

Royal grammas are beautiful fish and would be the safest choice, imo.

Cap'n
03-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Flame angel, if you can find one that leaves the coral alone and doesn't mind the scarcity of mysis. I had one that was great. Very active and visible.

trilinearmipmap
03-06-2005, 10:59 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'm not sure what a Zebra striped angel is, do you have a Latin name for it?

Ive read about flame angels and coral beauties being hit and miss as far as munching on your corals, that is what has held me back from getting one.

The Royal Gramma is a good suggestion, I actually got one but it died in quarantine, the only SW fish that ever died on me, I am just not eager to repeat this experience because it was pretty grim watching him dwindle away over a 4 or 5 day period.