PDA

View Full Version : getting a refugium online

Skimmerking
03-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Ok i have a sump in the baement and would like to ru a refugium for the tank. Problem is the main tank is upstairs and i have no room for a refugium in the dining room.

I would like to eun on down stairs but i can't seem to think where to put one where the sump is sitting at around 48" up from the floor and i was thinking of mixing a sump with a refugium. is it wise to to this Doug and I was alking and your really defeating the purpose of a refugium in the sump area for pods.

So is there another way to do it. could i run a small 5 gal tank would that work. But i see that a refugium once you have the substantial amount of pods in the tank it will make their way to the main tank RIGHT.

mike

KrazyKuch
03-06-2005, 03:47 PM
You can have a fuge.....I say the fuge should be based on the size of you main tank but I don't know by how much....To keep the pods in your fuge you just have to make it hard for them to do it thats all......I pump water up from my sump into my fuge then for the drain back into the sump I have a bulkhead with a 90 degree elbow on the end that points straight up so it only take the water from the suface!!!

BCOrchidGuy
03-07-2005, 06:35 PM
Mike I remember reading something about this a couple years ago. Common thought was that the power head/pump returning the water from the sump/refugium would kill pods etc. It turns out that a number of pods and larvae did survive the trip intact. I think the refugium has gotten away from being used as a refuge for fish/inverts you want to keep seperate from your tank and gone towards a refuge/filter system. I'd give it a try as you suggest and see how it goes. If nothing else you can always run a brine shrimp net through the fuge every couple of days and dip that into the main tank.

Doug

Skimmerking
03-07-2005, 09:01 PM
ok cool thanks Doug

mike

tranvictor
03-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Mike:

I don't know the parameters of your main tank, but have you thought about a hang on fuge? That way the critters won't get chewed up by pumps. They'll just gravity feed back into the main tank.

Skimmerking
03-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Tranvictor i never thought of that good call on that one.

Will look into it. The only problem is the canopy is sealed around and i have 2x 1" holes drilled into the back to run wires and the return. I will post a picture of where a hang on could go after i get home from work any idea's

mike

StirCrazy
03-11-2005, 12:22 AM
the other option is putting a small tank on a shelf above and behind the tank and having it drilled so it overflows into the main tank. then you just pump water up to that tank.

Steve

tranvictor
03-17-2005, 05:38 PM
Are you planning on making your own fuge, or are you purchasing it? CPR makes some good systems, it will only rtequire drilling a couple of 1 inch holes in your canopy. Or if you have a good custom tank builder where you are you can get a custom fuge made to your specs. I had the guy at Bow Valley in Calgary make me one for $60. Then I cut some glass for baffles, got some plumbing parts, attached a powerhead. Total cost around $130.

Smell ya later.