PDA

View Full Version : Sohal Tang

rickjames
03-05-2005, 07:33 PM
So what's the deal with these guys? I know that they don't play well with others. Do they kick the s**t out of just other tangs or all fish in general? I have heard they are mean but I am just wondering what their behavior is really like from those who have kept or observed them in an established tank. Has anyone kept them long term? What are your experiences with this species?

IMO they are one of the coolest looking fish....

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-05-2005, 08:44 PM
They will also need lots of space. Fast swimmers & very active most of the time. Can grow to 8" or more so need a 6' tank at least (IMO). Under the right conditions, fast growers too. My Elongate tang (A. mata) is similar in shape & it grows an average of 1"/month. :eek: Read up on wetwebmedia because Bob Fenner has a really good article on them. One of his all-time favourites, but definitely not for everyone or even for most people's tanks. However, if your tank is big enough & you're willing to not put in any more fish (highly recommended as the last fish to go into the tank) then it will definitely be a showpiece fish. My friend Randy has a gorgeous one about 7" that's just getting in the really intense adult colouration. Most beautiful fish I've seen.

Anthony

Aquattro
03-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Brennan, I've heard stories where these things have killed all the fish in a tank in 1 day. Certainly shouldn't be kept with other tangs, IMO.

rickjames
03-05-2005, 10:29 PM
Yeah that guy at wet web media seems to like them anyways... I read that article. Here it is in case anyone is interested: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Asohal.htm

Thanks for the informative posts.

Ken
03-06-2005, 12:16 AM
Hi, I agree with Anthony, definitely a beautiful fish Sohal Surgeon tang. As you said a fish that needs plenty of swimming room. I had one in a 8 foot aquarium approx 7 to 8 inches big, coloration gets better as it ages. In the 8 foot aquarium and plenty of current flow, I knew it still wanted more room. Sure it can get aggressive, but with the right fish in there, it will be tolerable and this one would never need to flex its muscle to intimidate its roomates. If I ever get one again, it would get a swimming pool. Regards Ken