PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for tank lid?

cindyt
03-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Have a 4 foot long 72 gall,no center brace,needing a lid/some good ideas how to jimmy-rig one :)

Rikko
03-04-2005, 08:42 PM
(Expecting this thread to be moved)

Are you looking to build or buy? Did you want a full cap/canopy or just a crude lid to cover the tank?
You can do it all with plywood, and rather easily, but it depends on what you want it to do.

cindyt
03-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Id prefer 'building' it,something that looks half decent.I was thinking plexiglass,but without the center brace,am thinking itll droop in the middle.

Wonder if I can 'mcGyver' a center piece....mind you,put me and tools together,you have the perfect recipe for destruction :biggrin:

danny zubot
03-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Hey Cindy, how the Snakeskin GSP? I think this thread needs to be moved to the DYI forum, moderator?

Anyway, are you looking for a cover to keep things in or just a crown to hide your lights etc? I recommend a crown/canopy over a glass top for heat reasons. I don't know if you noticed my tank which is completely covered, (no choice, can't hang lights) but I can't get my temp below 82.

If you must cover it I'd get a couple peices of glass cut because plexi will warp.
BTW, how did you manage a 4 foot tank with no center brace? Is it euro braced? How thick is the glass?

Invigor
03-22-2005, 03:29 PM
maybe robert from aquariumstands.net will speak up, he gave me ideas to make a canopy out of MDF. I had the guys at RONA cut it to what I wanted, then I just had to glue and screw it together and coat it with lacquer...turned out pretty decent considering it only cost about $50. the canopy is 61x21x9.. enought to fit halides if I ever get them :)

cindyt
03-22-2005, 03:54 PM
The GSP I believe is a little PO'd at me...not doing much right now,but well see :smile:

As for the tank,I have no idea what euro braced is :redface:

The glass is just under half inch thick.Measures 48x18x20.

As for glass,I have a bunch of extra pieces from some display stands from my old gift shop.Im using one now,but still looks semi-tacky :biggrin: Unfortunately I have terrorist cats,so its needs to be covered for sure.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Cindy :)

mr_alberta
03-22-2005, 03:59 PM
Euro Bracing is basically 2 - 3" strips of glass siliconed around the top perimeter of your tank. This adds a little more strenght to the aquarium and replaces a need for a center brace.

Are you looking for a canopy for your tank or something just to cover the top (like eggcrate) to keep fish in and cats out?

cindyt
03-22-2005, 04:16 PM
Id love to have a canopy,but until I get the system exactly as I want(lighting etc),then Im just gonna use it so cats dont go fish diving.

This tank doesnt have the euro-bracing either(thanks for explaining :biggrin: )...is this something that should be worrying me,or something I should look at fixing pronto?

muck
03-22-2005, 04:26 PM
This tank doesnt have the euro-bracing either(thanks for explaining :biggrin: )...is this something that should be worrying me,or something I should look at fixing pronto?
It shouldn't be a problem Cindy. :biggrin:

danny zubot
03-22-2005, 04:49 PM
If its only a temp solution until the camopy gets built, maybe try egg crate from Rona or Home Depot.

cindyt
03-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Awesome,ok,will do.

Thanks guys!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

danny zubot
04-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Hey Cindy, are those snakeskin polyps opened up yet? I'm a bit worried because the ones left in my tank during my nightmare (more happened after you left.) didn't survive. The ones that I moved to my friend's tank are ok though.

If they didn't make it make sure you come and see my new tank in our new place next time you come down, and I'll hook you up.

cindyt
05-04-2005, 01:54 AM
Hi Danny :)

Nope,they didnt open-kinda just did the 'limp and die' thing :)

And for sure Ill come see your new tank-Ill never pass up a chance at scoping someones tank!

:biggrin:

danny zubot
05-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Hey Cindy, I thought they might give you some trouble. It took mine three weeks to open up even a little after those problems I was having. Don't worry, I'll hook you up next time your in town.

Bob I
05-08-2005, 01:24 AM
Over kill :question: , I don't know, but the builder of my custom 75 used both Eurobracing plus a 5.5 inch wide glass center brace :eek: , it made it relatively easy to use glass covers to go under the two pendants.