PDA

View Full Version : Who locally runs Ozone?

mr_alberta
03-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi,

Anyone in the Edmonton area run Ozone? If so, how do you like it? Can you take some pictures of how you have it set up? I've been reading up on it lately, but still don't know exactly how its hooked up to your aquarium. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Harvey

rusty
03-04-2005, 03:07 PM
Hey Harvey what is yhe benifit of running ozone :question:

mr_alberta
03-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Well, ozone supposedly makes your water crystal clear (like your fish are swimming in air). Also, it supposedly increases the efficiency of your skimmer since it reacts with the various compounds in the water.

However, ozone supposedly can cause health hazards to both fish and humans if improperly dosed (but by what I've found so far, that is unlikely with the Ozonizers made for aquarium use). An overdose of ozone can wipe out entire tanks since it is a very strong oxidizing agent.

Check out this huge thread for more info:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=287495&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-04-2005, 04:35 PM
Be wary of using ozone. A local reefer I know has turned his on at a lower than maximum "safe" setting & wiped out his tank. :evil: Personally, I prefer UV if it's for polishing your water since light does not stay in the water & harm anything when it returns to the tank. As an Aquacultural Engineer, we used ozone in a commercial hatchery in Powell River, but I don't really see much benefit of using it in a personal tank set up considering the potential harm it can do if something goes wrong. The first sign of trouble may be that all your fish are dead in the morning. Not worth the risk, I think.

JME & O

Anthony

mr_alberta
03-04-2005, 10:16 PM
Anyone? DiverDan? I think you said you used Ozone...what do you think of it? Is your water crystal clear?

Quinster
03-06-2005, 12:25 PM
I am not a local but I am using ozone on my tank...all I can say is it has cleared my water considerably, like you said looks like they are swimming in air, has allmost a silver hew to it. I am running the return water over a carbon bag as well there is a carbon section on my auto shutoff collection cup. I am also using a Milwaukee Smart SMS125 pH/ORP Controller to run it. And I am passing the air coming from the ozonizer through an air dryer before my skimmer. The real grey area which causes alot of debate on many reef sites I have been on is the use of iodine/iodide at the same time as ozone...many say don't do it some say they are doing it...I understand the theory why not to, but I have seen many that do.

DiverDan
03-06-2005, 02:23 PM
Hi Harvey,
Yes I also run ozone on my system, and from what I gather it does polish the water! I induct it thru the ventury inlet on my skimmer.

Dan

DiverDan
03-06-2005, 02:34 PM
hears a pic harvey,
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1434ozone_induction.jpg

mr_alberta
03-06-2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks Dan!

What make of Ozonizer is that? Do you run it 24/7? Also, is that a PH/Orp controller you have running?

DiverDan
03-07-2005, 02:12 PM
The ozonator is a zontec, and thats a ph controller you see in the pic.I run the ozonator 4 hrs a day.

Dan