PDA

View Full Version : New addition

danny zubot
03-03-2005, 02:32 PM
I've always wanted to try one of these and since my SPS problem was taken care of a while ago I decided to give it a try.
Orange spotted file fish:
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1071new_fish-med.jpg
I saw him feed at the LFS so hopefully all goes well.

Aquattro
03-03-2005, 02:38 PM
nice fish, good luck with him!

Delphinus
03-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Neat. :cool: You should post the name of the fish though! :razz: Got a species ID?

muck
03-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Good luck with him Danny! What is he eating btw...
I hope he does well for you.

Oxymonacanthus longirostris (Bloch & Schneider 1801), the Harlequin Filefish or Orange Spotted Filefish in the aquarium interest. The most commonly offered member of the family... and rarely alive for more than a week in captivity. In the wild almost only eats Acropora polyps.

http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/fish-invertebrates/filefishes.asp

This species is found on coral reefs, where it feeds on coral polyps.
http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/olongir.htm

Invigor
03-03-2005, 02:42 PM
orange spotted filefish: Cantherhines pullus.

muck
03-03-2005, 02:45 PM
There are many filefish that have the common name "Orange Spotted Filefish". If you search on the name you provided you will find that is not the correct one. See my post just above.

danny zubot
03-03-2005, 03:11 PM
Last night at the LFS I saw it eat brine shrimp of all things. I know they usualy eat SPS polyps but I'm hoping to get lucky with this one. He can munch on my digitata, I don't mind. :mrgreen:

Willow
03-03-2005, 03:14 PM
i watched one starve to death at my lfs, it nibbled on some sps but basically didnt eat for 3 weeks and died.

Invigor
03-03-2005, 05:00 PM
There are many filefish that have the common name "Orange Spotted Filefish". If you search on the name you provided you will find that is not the correct one. See my post just above.

i just pasted the first thing google gave me :P

danny zubot
03-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Well, he eats fine. I just hope he doesn't eat the whole digitata at once because thats the only sps I have right now. Swims around lots and plays with the clown, seems to have adjusted well.

AJ_77
03-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Pretty cool, Danny. I think JimBarry had some free brown Digitata. :cool:

danny zubot
03-04-2005, 03:47 PM
Haha, I'll have to start stocking my tank with it just to feed him? :lol:

por2stylz
10-27-2010, 05:50 AM
hey hope all goes well with the filefish , dont get discouraged by those who are affraid or hear from someone that knows someone that had one that didnt eat we all thaught the world was flat at one point. Point is all marine life from a blue tang that swims up to a mile each day to feed but we cram them into a galss box all marine life shouldnt be sold but hey we love the hobby in my eyes all fish can be kept alive you just need to spend a few hours a day of feeding and make good observation . that goes to all the know it alls oranged spotted "cant be kept alive" haters, u just gota have the balls to do it