PDA

View Full Version : Mutiny On The Ship?

kris_willard
03-02-2005, 04:09 PM
I have been noticing lately that there has been a lot of questioning of the rules around here, more so than I have ever noticed before. Is there any particular reason for this? Is there some sort of new rules? What’s going on?
Thanks,
Kris

Invigor
03-02-2005, 04:34 PM
1. Thou shalt refrain from posting anything non-aquaria related to the buy/sell/trade forum.
2. Thou shalt refrain from posting offensive material such as religion and politics.
3. Thou shalt post non-aquaria related material in the "Lounge".
4. Buying/selling in the Lounge forum will not be tollerated.

That's what I've collected over the past few months

Aquattro
03-02-2005, 04:57 PM
1. Thou shalt refrain from posting anything non-aquaria related to the buy/sell/trade forum.
2. Thou shalt refrain from posting offensive material such as religion and politics.

That pretty much sums it up. These have been the rules since the inception of the board, yet a few individuals continue to question them. I don't really understand it.
We're an aquarium board, trying to run a friendly aquarium related site. We like to try and have fun and not be too anal about things, but a few simple rules are mandatory to ensure smooth operation of the site. This is non-negotiable and needs to be accepted as the way things are. If a person feels that they just can't live within these few boundaries, it may be best to find a board more suited to their style of board participation.

Bob I
03-02-2005, 05:00 PM

That pretty much sums it up. These have been the rules since the inception of the board, yet a few individuals continue to question them. I don't really understand it.
We're an aquarium board, trying to run a friendly aquarium related site. We like to try and have fun and not be too anal about things, but a few simple rules are mandatory to ensure smooth operation of the site. This is non-negotiable and needs to be accepted as the way things are. If a person feels that they just can't live within these few boundaries, it may be best to find a board more suited to their style of board participation.

Well said. :mrgreen:

Zerandise
03-02-2005, 05:18 PM
and then some! :)

its nice to have a staff that cares enough to protect the board and its users!

thanks guys ;)

muck
03-02-2005, 05:29 PM

Well said. :mrgreen:

Agreed!! :cool:

Willow
03-02-2005, 05:56 PM
im still not sure how #3 works, it is it isn't ok.. i dunno i think as long as it isn’t offensive, political.. it should be up to the community to have a place to just chat about things, aquarium related or not. it's been awhile since if seen that many aquarium related threads in the lounge.

Aquattro
03-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Willow, yes, I think we're going to amend the lounge description to allow non-aquaria related conversation. I think that is the purpose of the lounge. We'll allow most things, as long as they're not overly controversial and handled in a mature adult manner (most of the time).

And ya, most of the threads there now already fall under that category.

BCWolfen
03-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Willow, yes, I think we're going to amend the lounge description to allow non-aquaria related conversation. I think that is the purpose of the lounge. We'll allow most things, as long as they're not overly controversial and handled in a mature adult manner (most of the time).

Thats makes sense. If the thread were aquaria related then it would be under "reef" or "DIY" or the provincial forums, so there really would not be any need for the Lounge. Lounge is just that, a lounge to hang out and get to know your fellow reefers other interests.

just my thought :)

Doug
03-02-2005, 07:09 PM

Thats makes sense. If the thread were aquaria related then it would be under "reef" or "DIY" or the provincial forums, so there really would not be any need for the Lounge. Lounge is just that, a lounge to hang out and get to know your fellow reefers other interests.

just my thought :)

You guys are correct. I think that was our intent, but perhaps we worded it wrong. As Brad mentioned, we are in the process of changing it now. Having heavy duty meetings. :lol:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-02-2005, 07:23 PM
Hats off to all of you (the moderators that is) for doing a difficult job and keeping this forum open for us addicts. I appreciate your hard work & trying to satisfy over 1000 users is a near impossible, thankless job.

In other words, better you than me :lol: :lol:

JMO

Anthony

pandafishowner
03-02-2005, 08:27 PM

Another is:
5:Thou shalt not reply to someone asking for an item by saying you want it to :biggrin:

Willow
03-02-2005, 08:38 PM

Another is:
5:Thou shalt not reply to someone asking for an item by saying you want it to :biggrin:

yeah well that’s common decency not to horn in on someone else thread looking for something. that isn’t cool no matter what board your on.

Quinn
03-02-2005, 08:38 PM
From a post of mine in another thread:

I do notice that the lounge description seems to exclude non-reef related discussion, such as movies, or computers, which are common threads. Perhaps it could be changed to "anything of interest to our members that is not specifically aquarium related, therefore not belonging in other forums."

Tangman
03-02-2005, 09:04 PM
Hats off to all of you (the moderators that is) for doing a difficult job and keeping this forum open for us addicts. I appreciate your hard work & trying to satisfy over 1000 users is a near impossible, thankless job.

In other words, better you than me :lol: :lol:

JMO

Anthony

Agreed!
It's just too bad some people have nothing better to do than STIR THE POT !!

Quinn
03-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Stop stirring the pot Tangman. :razz:

Tangman
03-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Ya, I suppose your right, LOL :lol:

titus
03-03-2005, 12:20 AM
Hello,

I do notice that the lounge description seems to exclude non-reef related discussion, such as movies, or computers, which are common threads.
I can see how a discussion of a movie can turn into a debate of a variety of things. And please don't trade computer parts, DVDs there as well. The www.buysell.com is where these belongs.

But it really is a judgement call on both the members and the staff. Maybe someone post a thread in the Lounge for a poll of which movie should win an award. It's fine if it is kept that way. But if all 1000 members started doing the same thing, I can see the server getting overloaded on non-essential non-aquatics related items. Then I must say let's hack it. Also, if the same topic diverged to a debate of why this actor deserves this award better and why the DOP deserves that award more, well I must say let's hack it too. So it really is a judgement call.

Titus

trilinearmipmap
03-03-2005, 12:36 AM
I think there is a big cultural difference in what constitutes acceptable speech.

Coming from a white background my family will debate anything around the dinner table including religion, abortion, politics, whether or not George Bush has a functioning brain, etc. It never gets personal and no one is bothered by it.

Various Asian friends and family seem to feel very uncomfortable with anything approaching disagreement or confrontation. Thus I have Asian relatives (by marriage) I have known for ten years yet I don't have a clue what their personal views or opinions are. They would rather get along than "rock the boat".

Anyway just my observations.

BCOrchidGuy
03-03-2005, 01:12 AM
One thing I look for is consistancy and frankly I've seen nothing but. If the board rules are broken something gets done, regardless of who did it, no favorites, no games. I like the board, you can have opinions that differ from others and as long as you stay polite and keep your comments reasonable and civil it's all good.
Kudo's to all the staff and members.

Doug

titus
03-03-2005, 02:37 AM
Hello,

It has absolutley nothing to do with racial influences. This is a board for aquatics discussions. Lounges are for the occasional light off topic discussions. But if the traffic is getting high on items that has nothing to do with the name of the board, well you know what happens.

Titus