PDA

View Full Version : The New Rules

EmilyB
03-02-2005, 05:16 AM
I'm confused. :confused:

A good friend tried to post his table saw for fellow DIY'ers (let's face it, anyone that knows Kari, knows he's building reef stuff in his garage :lol: )

I seem to remember a lot of table saw threads from Steve :question:

So stray cat threads and car audio are okay ?
:rolleyes:

My favorite movie ?

What am I missing?

Aquattro
03-02-2005, 05:57 AM
you're missing the fact that stray cat and car audio are in the lounge. You're missing that the lounge also hosted the favorite movie thread, which was a light hearted attempt at expanding the conversation between friends just a bit.
You're missing the fact that the buy/sell/trade forum is for reef related items only, and that a saw is not a reef related item, even though I tried to stretch that as best I could.
You're also missing the fact that Steve was posting ABOUT his saw, not SELLING his saw. I'm sure Kari builds all kinds of cool reef stuff, but that doesn't make it OK to sell it in the aquarium forum.

Am I missing anything? I surely can't see any new rule here.....

EmilyB
03-02-2005, 07:06 AM
Nope.

That pretty much covers it I guess.

StirCrazy
03-02-2005, 12:59 PM
You're missing the fact that the buy/sell/trade forum is for reef related items only,

hmm not to stir anything up but a question, is not the tools used in making our equipment for our tanks reef related?

Steve

Delphinus
03-02-2005, 01:08 PM
I don't know the answer to that question.

What about a hammer? A drill press? A router? A screw driver? You use these to DIY things as well. But is Canreef really the place to be selling these things? Really? Not everyone is into DIY, it's only a percentage of the people in the hobby.

I'm sorry, I thought the line was a little blurry here. If I'm wrong ... well .. then maybe I need to convinced as such first.

Aquattro
03-02-2005, 01:53 PM
You're missing the fact that the buy/sell/trade forum is for reef related items only,

hmm not to stir anything up but a question, is not the tools used in making our equipment for our tanks reef related?

Steve

Steve, can you suggest where to draw the line? I listen to my stereo while watching my reef....related? I used the snow tires on my van to get food for my fish during the snow day....related? I use my picnic table to store dead coral skeletons....related? I can relate anything in my house to my reef in some form or fashion....
We have to set boundaries on this stuff, or it becomes a giant online garage sale, not a reef board. I think we need to define aquarium related as items directly required/desired to maintain fish in aquariums. A saw doesn't fall under that category.

trilinearmipmap
03-02-2005, 01:53 PM
What would be the harm in allowing anybody who wants to post about whatever he or she wants?

This was tried in Russia recently and it seemed to work better than their old system. North Korea is thinking about it.

Delphinus
03-02-2005, 02:08 PM
There are sites where you can post for sale whatever you want. Take a look at bargainfinder.com / buysell.com.

Respectfully, this board has a slightly specialized focus.

Invigor
03-02-2005, 02:16 PM
on the subject of buying and selling things, does anyone know what happened to aquabay.ca?

Aquattro
03-02-2005, 02:22 PM
What would be the harm in allowing anybody who wants to post about whatever he or she wants?

The harm is suddenly a board that Titus pays for out of his pocket to host the discussion of a specialized topic becomes a free for all, with no control whatsoever.
In reference to your Russia stab, are you telling me that these countries have no rules, laws, boundaries and guidelines? Because if you are, I think you're mistaken.

trilinearmipmap
03-02-2005, 02:34 PM
Relax, I am just trying to make a point.

I have a lot of junk lying around my house to get rid of (old TV, CD player, wood burning stove, snowboard, etc etc etc) and I would be glad to trade it for frags, used HOB skimmer, or whatever. It would be nice to be able to post this in the for sale section.

The point I was trying to make is that more freedom is always better than less freedom.

Aquattro
03-02-2005, 02:39 PM
I have a lot of junk lying around my house to get rid of (old TV, CD player, wood burning stove, snowboard, etc etc etc) and I would be glad to trade it for frags, used HOB skimmer, or whatever. It would be nice to be able to post this in the for sale section.

The point I was trying to make is that more freedom is always better than less freedom.

No, more freedom is not always better than less freedom, for exactly yhe reason you've put above. We have over 1000 members, and if they all decide to post their junk lying around the house, we'd have no room for reef stuff. I'm not sure why you can't see that.
Your countries certainly don't just allow people to run around doing whatever they please, just because it's convenient.

If you have junk, put an ad in the paper, sell the stuff for cash and buy frags. Or do a google search for a buy/sell/trade board for junk. This is not the place, and this will never be the place to sell your junk.

Tangman
03-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Congrats to Reef rat & Delphinus!

For sticking by the rules, good to see!

AJ_77
03-02-2005, 03:12 PM
Agreed! That's some top-drawer moderating there, gentlemen.

I'd buy you a beer, but you both live so dang far away... :mrgreen:

Zerandise
03-02-2005, 03:35 PM
I agree with sticking to rules. And the line is Fuzzy. they way its set you cant really sell Glass or acrylic on the buy sell too as it can be used for none reefing acts as well. All depends on how you look at it.

I happen to agree with the limits set in the buy/sell. They are good solid rules that are somewhat easy to go by when you are away from the grey area.

A possible work around would be a forum for "reef related" Items. where someone could sell the tools a DIY'er needs to get the job done at a cheaper cost. Like say a tablesaw or some cast acrylic.

Its all in how you look at it.

Invigor
03-02-2005, 05:38 PM
A possible work around would be a forum for "reef related" Items. where someone could sell the tools a DIY'er needs to get the job done at a cheaper cost. Like say a tablesaw or some cast acrylic.

that's an alright idea..."the fuzzy line buy/sell/trade forum" or "the grey area"

Aquattro
03-02-2005, 05:57 PM
We've never refused ads for plastic or glass, as those items are directly used to maintain tanks. Sure, you could build windows for you house with them, but realistically, they are both directly related to aquaria.
Tools, on the other hand, are not. www.buysell.com has a huge listing of tools at great prices, so if someone needs to sell or buy a tool, that would be the right place to look.

Tangman
03-02-2005, 07:08 PM
I think the piont to what Reef Rat is very simple! And questioning it is just trying to stir the pot

Tangman
03-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Reef rat is saying that is

Quinn
03-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Two possible criteria:

If the average non-aquarist associates the item with aquaria, then it seems fair to post it here. If the average non-aquarist would not associate the item with aquaria, then no. So, pond pump, yes, table saw, no.

It's a little sketchy when you get to items with a small number of specific uses, such as pickling lime, or large plastic barrels, but I think because these would have a first-degree connection to a tank, they could be posted (lime goes in the tank, the barrel is either plumbed to the tank or holds water for the tank). On the other hand, the table saw is, for instance, only associated with the stand the tank sits on, a second-degree relationship.

I do notice that the lounge description seems to exclude non-reef related discussion, such as movies, or computers, which are common threads. Perhaps it could be changed to "anything of interest to our members that is not specifically aquarium related, therefore not belonging in other forums."

Edit - I see the concerns I bring up in my last paragraph have been noted in another thread.

Tangman
03-02-2005, 08:50 PM
I agree!

Aquattro
03-02-2005, 09:03 PM
It's a little sketchy when you get to items with a small number of specific uses, such as pickling lime, or large plastic barrels, but I think because these would have a first-degree connection to a tank, they could be posted (lime goes in the tank, the barrel is either plumbed to the tank or holds water for the tank). On the other hand, the table saw is, for instance, only associated with the stand the tank sits on, a second-degree relationship.

This is a good description and is essentially how I personally gauge the relationship to aquaria...thanks

kari
03-03-2005, 04:07 AM
The funniest part is that the post in question was "approved" prior to posting :lol: and then wacked the next day.

Why not just delete everything that is of any use in the hobby that is not in a box full of water? While you are at it, also delete any mention of where to find any useful items that can assist you.

But before you go there, start with deleting the entire "Vendors Ratings" forum due to its ridiculous content.

EmilyB
03-03-2005, 04:11 AM
IBTL :biggrin:

I let a lot of people know about your saw anyway..... :lol: :rolleyes:

G1GY
03-03-2005, 05:08 AM
Post edited due to inappropriate content.

Delphinus
03-03-2005, 05:22 AM
Ok, this is ridiculous. Sorry, show's over.