PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp Peppermint vs Cleaner

clownchick22
03-02-2005, 12:36 AM
Whats the major pros/cons to either of these little creatures and how many of each to put in a 90Gal?
Is one better than the other?

Willow
03-02-2005, 12:46 AM
they perform diffrent jobs, its an apples and oranges thing. the big diffrence is cleaners are pretty much front and center and peppermints you hardly ever see.

Beverly
03-02-2005, 01:08 AM
What fish do you have in the tank? Wrasses, especially, will eat both. So will hawkfish.

BCOrchidGuy
03-02-2005, 02:21 AM
Like Willow says cleaners are front and center, peppermint are shy. There are a couple types of peppermint shrimp as well some people/stores will label camel shrimp as peppermints. One type of peppermint is known to eat aptasia but even if you get the right kind they may not eat the aptasia so it's a toss up. Either one will spawn in your tank if you have more than two, when they release the larvae it's a good natural food for your corals etc.

Doug

BCWolfen
03-02-2005, 04:42 AM
I have 2 peppermints and 2 cleaners in my 90 and they are all very happy. The cleaners climb all over you when you work in teh tank. The peppermints I only see in teh evening. Thats when they venture out of their hole cuz they know its feeding time.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-02-2005, 06:26 AM
A pair of each would be really nice. I had a pair of each in my 33g tank & they each took possession of their own rock structure. My peppermints would come out when dinner was in the water but otherwise they like to hang out upside down in their cave. The cleaners were more likely to stand up on the highest point and sway. Peppermints tend to be less expensive but cleaners are more friendly :biggrin:

Anthony

Skimmerking
03-02-2005, 09:00 PM
What fish do you have in the tank? Wrasses, especially, will eat both. So will hawkfish.

really i didnt know that in my last 75 gal i had 3 peppermints and 2 cleaner in the tank with a six line , a yellow and a leopard and had no problems..

mike

p.s not knocking ya Bev but it worked for me maybe its a hit and miss again like always on the reef side....

Beverly
03-02-2005, 09:23 PM
p.s not knocking ya Emily but it worked for me maybe its a hit and miss again like always on the reef side....

Michael,

Now you are calling me by someone else's name :lol: :razz:

clownchick22
03-02-2005, 09:43 PM

really i didnt know tha in my last 75 gal i had 3 peppermints and 2 cleaner in the tank with a six line , a yellow and a leoprad and had no problems..

mike

p.s not knocking ya Emily but it worked for me maybe its a hit and miss again like always on the reef side....

I believe Marcel has some Cleaners and Peps in his tank with a huge yellow Wrasse..
maybe it all depends on personality of the fish :neutral:

tomini
03-03-2005, 12:09 AM
they are nice if you dont intend to keep corals that require target feeding
IE: Sun coral, Anemones etc. they'll steal the food right out of their mouths. other than that thay are a nice addition to any reef and they're larvae is a good food source for fish that need live foods like mandarins :smile:

Skimmerking
03-03-2005, 03:03 AM
Sorry there Bev It has been a long day at work ..teaching younger soldier's how to drive 6 and 8 wheel fighting vehicles..

mike

EmilyB
03-03-2005, 04:45 AM
I had to read that thread a couple times to figure out why I was in trouble...

:lol: :razz: