PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish -- Who's got what?

albert_dao
03-01-2005, 07:12 AM
I was just wondering if anyone out there had any of the rarer clownfish species.

Also, anyone breeding clowns with success?

Canadian Man
03-01-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm in progress of trying to breed my pink skunk clowns.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Had a mated pair of white striped Maroons (nothing too fancy), now only a pair of Oc.

BMW Rider
03-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Just a really old (10 years) kinda grumpy Tomato clown.

EmilyB
03-01-2005, 09:38 PM
I've tried a lot of clownfish:

1) Wildcaught 6" Saddlebacks

2) Black percs (saddleback variant)

3) Tomato

4) Pink Skunks

5) True percs

6) Ocellaris

7) Clarkii

A lot of these I simply exchanged as they were either horribly vicious or terribly boring :lol: . So believe it or not, my remaining pair, and favorite of all time are my prolific white-stripe maroons :mrgreen:

albert_dao
03-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Have any of you ever seen the Wideband Clown (A. latezonatus) at stores?

I've wanted these forever...

S-B
03-01-2005, 10:33 PM
I have 3 percula clowns . two have paired up so I moved the third away from them . I thought they would breed , but they haven't . :sad:

Saltysteve
03-01-2005, 11:04 PM
I have three percs, two paired up and the third is on it's way out, LOL
I'm hoping to breed.
Love it :lol:

Willow
03-01-2005, 11:40 PM
I've tried a lot of clownfish:

1) Wildcaught 6" Saddlebacks

2) Black percs (saddleback variant)

3) Tomato

4) Pink Skunks

5) True percs

6) Ocellaris

7) Clarkii

A lot of these I simply exchanged as they were either horribly vicious or terribly boring :lol: . So believe it or not, my remaining pair, and favorite of all time are my prolific white-stripe maroons :mrgreen:

were your saddlebacks fairly peaceful or where they belligerent bastages? my last white stripe maroon was a bit of a butthead, cute as hell but a coral bulldozer.

Delphinus
03-02-2005, 12:02 AM

Really? People on RC are all aflutter when they see these too. I think they're OK, but ... what's the appeal with these ones? Looks, or just the rarity of them?

How about A. omanensis for hard-to-find fish .... anyone on good terms with the Sultan? (Actually I thought I read that there is a source of this fish from outside Oman territorial waters? Not sure if it's true, but ... would be interesting if it was.)

Ryan
03-02-2005, 05:01 AM
Still going to go with the Schyelles clown. Wide band i have seen in vancouver. I say 1 4 incher at a pet cetera in nanimo i think i cant rememeber if it was nanimo or not. She was expensive though 60 bucks.

pandafishowner
03-02-2005, 05:04 AM
adidas has a saddleback clown, i have a panda clown (black and white saddleback). they seem to be really friendly. honestly wouldn't be surprised if they tried to mate, from what the store said, that may be what they were doing.

albert_dao
03-02-2005, 05:50 AM

Really? People on RC are all aflutter when they see these too. I think they're OK, but ... what's the appeal with these ones? Looks, or just the rarity of them?

How about A. omanensis for hard-to-find fish .... anyone on good terms with the Sultan? (Actually I thought I read that there is a source of this fish from outside Oman territorial waters? Not sure if it's true, but ... would be interesting if it was.)

It's the looks. I think they are super sharp.

A. omanensis in a different collection zone? One can only wish. $10 says if they are, you're probably looking at the only clownfish that's going to bypass the $1000/per mark.

This is where poachers come in...

danny zubot
03-02-2005, 04:41 PM
I don't see what the hype is, I guess it the rarity.
http://species.fishindex.com/photo_27519amphiprion_omanensis.html

albert_dao
03-02-2005, 08:51 PM
Heh, I think that's a pretty sharp fish!

Edit: Hmm, now that I think about it, they're pretty similar to A. bicinctus.