PDA

View Full Version : Mrs Wages Pickling Lime (aka Kalkwasser)

canadawest
05-25-2002, 09:12 PM
For those of you who dose Kalkwasser, here is a huge cost savings!

I have been using Mrs Wages Pickling Lime for the past year (a 16oz bag) and am almost out now, so I have contacted Mrs Wages (the company, not the person) about ordering a case (or more) of it for us local reefkeepers.

Pickling lime is an extremely cheap alternative to Kalkwasser Mix sold in aquarium stores, as it's composed of basically the same thing, calcium hydroxide or calcium oxide. As it is food grade, it's as good or better than the aquarium grade stuff from Kent.

Each bag is 16oz, which is about equivalent to two of the 450g containers of Kalkwasser mix. Final cost after shipping is only $5CDN a bag, compared to $13.95 per 450g container of Kent Kalkwasser Mix. Huge savings! :D

I will take orders from interested people this weekend, and place an order early next week. Post here with how many bags you would like.

Sorry, local buyers only, but if someone from Alberta wants to order a case (or more) I'll give you the contact info.

Aquattro
05-25-2002, 11:27 PM
Andrew, I thought they weren't shipping here anymore...If they are, I'll take a couple of bags. Handy to have around the house!

StirCrazy
05-26-2002, 01:32 AM
i could use a couple Andrew smile.gif heck at 5.00/bag why not put me down for 4 bags smile.gif

Steve

[ 25 May 2002, 21:32: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

canadawest
05-26-2002, 02:55 AM
No worries with shipping Brad, as I'll be having it sent to my mailbox address in Blaine, WA, then go pick up the case and bring it back myself.

The actual cost of the bags is a little less than $3CDN, but after shipping, taxes, duties, etc it'll be closer to $5 a bag. Still much cheaper than buying Kalk.

I'll find out from the manufacturer in a couple days how many bags are in a case, so then I'll know if I'm ordering only one case or more.

Aquattro
05-26-2002, 03:43 AM
Thanks Andrew. Let me know roughly when and I can schedule a trip to the mainland.
Do you ever try and orginize goup orders via the US to your PO box? Detrivore kits are real hard to come by!!

[ 25 May 2002, 23:44: Message edited by: Reef_Raf ]

canadawest
05-26-2002, 04:09 AM
Pre 9/11 I used to get all sorts of livestock and goods from the US. Now I don't bother based on the potential for hassle.

I would consider a group order from the US, but my concern is trouble with permits for livestock and such at the border.

I don't figure it's worth the hassle now with the more firmer border policies being enforced.

Aquattro
05-26-2002, 04:19 AM
Oh well. If you do decide to pick up some stuff one day, let e know.

JoJo
05-26-2002, 01:20 PM
Hey Andrew,

Put me down for a couple bags. But isn't 16oz equivalent to approx. 454g??? 1oz = 28.4g :confused: Hek at $5/bag, it's still alot cheaper than the LFS. Thanks!!!

Jacoda
05-26-2002, 02:07 PM
Andrew:

Actually...put me down for 2 bags instead, I'd E-mail you the other day and requested only one bag.

TIA

BCReefer
05-26-2002, 02:36 PM
Andrew 2 bags for me.

Did you get the shrimp yet?

Cheers,
Patrick

ron101
05-26-2002, 07:16 PM
Andrew, I'd like 2 bags as well if there are still some available.

I've checked some of the local grocery stores for that stuff and have come up empty. Given that you're M/O it direct I take it it must not be available here at all...

Jack
05-26-2002, 09:43 PM
Hey Andrew, local meaning Vancouver Island?? :D

canadawest
05-26-2002, 11:46 PM
Yes Jack, local includes Vancouver Island, as we get to see the Island folk once a month or so during the Reef Club meetings. It's quite possible that I will be hosting the next one sometime in June, so those from the Island that are interested could pick it up then, or have someone attending bring some back for them.

Islander
05-27-2002, 12:08 AM
Hi Andrew, I would like to have 2 bags.

Thanks,
Ken

canadawest
05-27-2002, 04:45 AM
OK, guys so far I have:

Brad - 2 bags
Steve - 4 bags
Danny - 2 bags
Jack (Ace) - 2 bags
Patrick - 2 bags
Ron - 2 bags

Hey Patrick, I sent you an email last weekend when I got the shrimp, but haven't heard from you. It's still sitting here waiting for you. Email me for my phone number if you don't still have it.

PS... Steve (Tigger) I've also put aside two small packages of it for you too. Call me to arrange a pickup time.

*** Updated 5/26 with latest orders ***

[ 26 May 2002, 19:48: Message edited by: canadawest ]

Jack
05-27-2002, 04:53 AM
Hey Andrew, you could just ship me the kalk, I'm sure it wont cost to much to send here. I might be interested in a few bags if you would find out how much shipping might be aprox. You can just tell me how much it cost to ship it and I can send you a money order or cheque.

canadawest
05-27-2002, 03:58 PM
OK Jack, we'll work something out. Just let me know how many bags you would like, and I'll make sure I get enough. Looks like I'll be ordering two cases at this point anyway. :D

DJ88
05-27-2002, 06:25 PM
Toss me in for two buddy.

smile.gif

As an aside andrew if the DC fans aren't enough for you let me know. We can set up an AC fan on a rheostat so you can vary the speed. I have decided to do this.

Jack
05-27-2002, 06:48 PM
Hey Andrew, thanks. I will take 4 bags. We will just get in touch Via email later about the shipping and payment ect.

This should last me hopfully long enough that I can put smoe money away for a Ca reacotor from Brad.

christyf5
05-27-2002, 07:16 PM
Hey Andrew,
I'll take 2 bags just in case my friend can't find it.

Thanks
Christy smile.gif

canadawest
05-27-2002, 10:10 PM
Update (05/27):

Brad - 2 bags
Steve - 4 bags
Danny - 2 bags
Jack (Ace) - 2 bags
Patrick - 2 bags
Ron - 2 bags
Ken - 2 bags
Jack - 4 bags
Troy - 4 bags
Darren - 2 bags
Christy - 2 bags

Whew, thats already 28 bags, before I even get mine! Looks like I might be ordering 3 cases, depending on how many bags per case. :cool:

Troy F
05-28-2002, 04:53 AM
Andrew, I'll take four bags.

smokinreefer
05-28-2002, 03:59 PM
geez...sorry guys.
i was unable to join this thread as i've been working nights lately.

but if anyone in my vicinity..(i am in N.burnaby) is not able to get set up with andrew...i have some kalk available as well.
as too not step on any toes...as i'm not trying to sell this stuff, but rather help you guys out just the same as andrew...i can fill your 1kg container for $5 as well or a frag will suffice.

happy dripping...or stirring...or whatever it is you folks want to do with this stuff. tongue.gif

smokinreefer
05-29-2002, 01:03 AM
in light of recent developments...
it looks like i will be taking over this project, merely because i already have some kalk available, looks to be about enough to cover the demand thus far. if need be, i am sure i can get a hold of some more. just a FYI, the calcium hydroxide is codex grade (food grade) and not just hydrated.
so for all those interested please, respond or email me so we can make arrangements. and kudos to andrew who got the ball rolling.

later,
shao

canadawest
05-29-2002, 03:42 AM
Great Shao, glad you and I could get this project going.

I'll be seeing you in the next week to fill up a couple containers for myself. And we can try to organize getting some to the Island folk at the next reef club meeting.

Thanks again for offering your stash up! :D

canadawest
05-29-2002, 11:37 PM
Hey Rachel, check out the previous post. Shao (Smokinreefer) has offered up his large stash of Kalk for locals to buy from.

So for now you'll have to make arrangements to get some from Shao, perhaps at the next Reef Club Meeting. I will be certainly be ordering a bunch when I need it again, but not likely until later this year now.

sea gnome
05-30-2002, 04:39 AM
Hi Andrew; I'll take a bag if it's not to late. Rachel

smokinreefer
05-30-2002, 08:17 PM
hey guys, just as a FYI...i do not currently have the kalk bagged. it is bulk. if you have containers to fill up, Great. if not, let me know if you have bags you want filled. if you dont have bags or containers, let me know in advance so i can track some down for you.
thanks

JoJo
05-30-2002, 09:14 PM
Hey Shao,

Do you need to borrow a scale??? I also have alot of those white bags similar to the glad kitchen catchers.

Mares77
05-31-2002, 03:07 AM
Hey Andrew..count me in for two bags as well...

smokinreefer
05-31-2002, 08:14 PM
i dont think i'll need a scale. i have a 1kg kalk container that i can use as a measuring cup smile.gif

sea gnome
06-02-2002, 12:15 AM
Hi, I'll take 2. Rachel

sea gnome
06-02-2002, 12:19 AM
Ok, Now that I have read the whole post :D I'll revise the order. I asked for 1 the first time I'll keep it at that. Rachel

Tau2301
06-02-2002, 01:09 PM
Hey Smokinreefer, just revisited this post.

Where did you buy your food grade calcium hydroxide? What was the minimum purchase?

Hoping to find a good supplier here on the other side of the mountains.

smokinreefer
06-05-2002, 02:37 AM
hey guys,
i was thinking...i should be able to swing by the next reef meeting if your all still there around 6ish. if so, i could just bring the stuff and distribute it there. does that sound like a plan?
let me know what you guys think...if its not a viable option, no problem, you guys are always welcome to swing by my place. or maybe we can get someone to drop it off at the meeting for you guys.
just let me know if you need to make arrangements with me to pick some up.
later,
shao

canadawest
06-05-2002, 08:30 PM
Hey Shao, if you are planning to make it to the meeting I think that would suit all those planning to come as well.

The only concern I can see is that the Island attendees usually like to be away by 5-6pm so might not suit them?

Perhaps you and I can make arrangements before the meeting for me to pick up a bunch and have it available for the Island folks and early attendees, then you can take the remainder home with you when you leave later?

Let me know what you think. Private email or call me and we'll work out the details.

Aquattro
06-05-2002, 08:38 PM
Good plan, Andrew. I'd like some but will probably be going earlier.

smokinreefer
06-06-2002, 01:25 AM
yeah...i work that day, so i wouldnt be able to make it till around six, but i was hoping that someone could bring the kalk there, cuz i know those "islanders" need to leave earlier. tho i wouldve liked to see everyone again.

if andrew can pick up the kalk beforehand...that would be perfect.

talk to ya soon,
shao