PDA

View Full Version : eel owners

reefnut
03-01-2005, 01:24 AM
whos got em and what kinds?and how often do you feed yours.i have one snowflake and one yellow head moray.also does anyone know the species name for the yellow/golden head moray cant seem to find him on the net.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-01-2005, 01:39 AM
I've got an 8" snowflake (although it's probably 9" by now). Only sw eel I like to keep but a dwarf golden eel would be pretty sweet.

Anthony

PS. from Wetwebmedia - Gymnothorax ruppelliae - the Yellow headed or Banded Moray

reefnut
03-01-2005, 02:09 AM
Yah my snowflake is about 12 inches. How often does yours come out of your rocks? Mine is always hiding, and I never see more than 2 inches of his body emerge. I am hoping it is because he is still small. Thanks for the tip about the golden head.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-01-2005, 03:11 AM
Mine comes out when food (shrimp/krill) hits the water. It cruises around at night though.

Coldwater
03-01-2005, 03:31 AM
They cruise all night long. My eel always has at least half its body out of its hiding hole. When I feed him he goes into feeding mode and will swim around the tank looking for food. He is about 15" long. I wish I had more room for more Morays. It gets fed whenever it looks hungry (just about every day). I give him five silversides or ten krill. Loves them both. They are great pets and I love mine.

Matt

reefnut
03-01-2005, 05:23 AM
i agree morayrs are awesome.but i wonder why mine never comes out anymore.ive had him for 3 months now.for the first two weeks he was constantly cruising and a very quick eater.now he hant left his hole for about a month.he is very slow to grab food but he does eat about 3-4 shrimp every other day.im thinking about putting him in a 33 by himself until he gets a bit bigger.

albert_dao
03-01-2005, 06:54 AM
I've got a melatremus, a white ribbon and a snowflake. The only one that actively cruises the tank is the white ribbon. The others only come out during feeding. The snowflake is especially active when food hits the water.

I wouldn't mind finding one of those chestnut or viper morays; those just look sweet.

Anyway, all the morays get mysis whenever I feel like going upstairs to the freezer - which works out to three or four times a week. Occasionally, they get krill, but it's such a hassle to break up and thaw :neutral: .

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-01-2005, 07:40 AM
I don't bother thawing the krill. I find that my tangs & angels aren't crazy about frozen krill so by the time it sinks & defrosts, the snowflake has tracked it down & scarfs it in no time. Attacks krill like its still alive. :eek:

RobbAdams
03-01-2005, 02:23 PM
Ive had my Fimbriated morray for about 3 months or so , I don't really see him swim around much, mostly only see him when I feed him. They are neat, bnut I think I am going to part with mine as I like regular fish I can see most of the time better.