PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE HELP anyone..- Blenny Emergency

KTV
03-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Please help, I came home today and couldn't find my Midas Blenny anywhere. I frantically looked for him and found him inside a live rock, he somehow wedged himself into a rock. He was deffinately stuck, I took the rock out and broke the rock to get him out.

Right now he is on his side, breathing very heavily and not moving at all.
Is there anything I can do to help him recooperate? I don't want to loose my poor bleeny. :cry:

EmilyB
03-01-2005, 04:42 AM
I don't know anything about that fish, but a ton of oxygen is always good...can you get an airstone in there by him?

KTV
03-02-2005, 02:46 AM
He's still alive and breathing, but hasn't moved. I think his back's probably broken. I placed some mysis beside his mouth and he ate the mysis with some difficulty. I think he wants to live.

Should I euthanize him out of his misery or should I try to nurse him back to health. Has anyone heard of a fish recovering from broken bones?
Please help.

bailey7424
03-02-2005, 03:17 AM
I'd say just to see what you can do ... if death becomes inevitable then it might be time to euthanize.

A fish with a broken back - not familiar with that - hopefully your fish is just suffering from`high anxiety' and will recover.

Jason McK
03-02-2005, 03:50 AM
My bi-colour blenny swims at 100 miles an hour head first into a hole no wider than him and some how spins around inside the hole and pokes his head out. I'm thinking the action of breaking him out of the rock could have been pretty traumatic. I would give him some time and see what happens.
You aren't treating the tank with Copper are you?

J

Rikko
03-03-2005, 09:54 AM
What's the latest?

KTV
03-03-2005, 04:40 PM
No Change.. Spot fed him yesterday.
Ate some mysis shrimp.

Still lies there, I think maybe his pectoral fins are broken as he is able to swirm his back, I don't notice him being able to move his fins though.

It's really sad looking at him.. But if he won't give up then I won't give up.

DEAD_BY_DAWN
03-03-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm thinking the action of breaking him out of the rock could have been pretty traumatic. I agree if the fish can get in there he/she can get out ,best thing to do is just leave it alone aslong as its not being bullyed by its tankmates, you can try to find some sort of blenny full body cast... :eek:

danny zubot
03-03-2005, 08:52 PM
What makes you think its back is broken. Fish are very flexible creatures and in order to break a fish's back you would certainly have to use incredible force! While its laying there what shape does its spine take on? if there appears to be a kink then it might broken.

AJ_77
03-03-2005, 09:32 PM
Hang in there, Khoi. Wasn't there a post a while back about a guy that accidently broke his PB Tang's back and it recovered? Good on you not to give up yet.