PDA

View Full Version : Catching an eel

RobbAdams
02-28-2005, 10:21 PM
Any suggestions, he is about 12" long (Stupid impulse purchase) I never see him except when I feed him (With very long tongs) He Must Go he took a good chunk out of one of my clowns :evil: I dont really want to put my hands in there to take out all the live rock, i am afraid i will get bit :redface: Willing to trade for anything exccept YTBD, dont worry, if you have them he will get rid of them for you :mrgreen: he has already eliminated my three.

danny zubot
02-28-2005, 10:28 PM
What is YTBD?

ABreefkpr
02-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Yellow tail blue damsels?
What kind of eel

Willow
02-28-2005, 11:23 PM
good luck with this one.

al555
02-28-2005, 11:39 PM
LOL! i was in the same boat, hahaha!

but i did get him out of my tank, and YES it bit me. I was wearing those arm length aqua gloves and he pierced a hole in it... :mad:

they're fast.....but if you got 2 nets it wasnt too bad once you get it trapped in a corner.

maybe try to bait'em out with a silverside in the net or feed him till he wont eat, then he wont be as aggresive....

good luck.

Al.

Coldwater
02-28-2005, 11:45 PM
What type of eel? If it eats inverts you dont need to really worry about it biting you. It its a fish eater be careful. Try luring it near the surface with a silverside then scoop him up with a net. Make sure it doesnt jump out. Good luck.

Matt

Edmonton Eskimo
03-01-2005, 01:21 AM
where's des? He had to remove an eel from his 180. Not sure how he did but he did.

RobbAdams
03-01-2005, 02:05 PM
It is a fimbriated moray, and it is deffinately a fish eater (Rows of curved needle like teeth)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Maybe try building a long fish trap out of pvc piping. Block one end & have the other end in a place where you can quickly block it off with a net or piece of LR or something. Place some food inside in the evening & see whether the eel won't find this new "home" too tempting to ignore, especially if the dinner table is already set. Just a thought.

Anthony

Good luck with the great eel hunt :biggrin: