PDA

View Full Version : baking soda and ph

digitalsteve
02-28-2005, 03:47 AM
what are the down sides of using baking soda to bring down the ph in a system? are there any?>

Chin_Lee
02-28-2005, 04:12 AM
the only downside I know is the big name companies that manufacture (or repackage) their additives aren't making any money from you. :biggrin:
but the ph down effect is usually temporary because it will swing back up when stabilized. What are your intentions with the baking soda? Most people use it to add alk to their system. why do you want to bring down the ph? what is your ph now?

digitalsteve
02-28-2005, 05:07 AM
the ph down is for the water i am using for my water change it seems to be high , in the 9 range so i am dropping it down ... well i am glad to hear there isnt any serious effects from it .
thanks

Chin_Lee
02-28-2005, 05:15 AM
the ph down is for the water i am using for my water change it seems to be high , in the 9 range so i am dropping it down ... well i am glad to hear there isnt any serious effects from it .
thanks
let the water sit for a bit (8-10 hrs) and aerate it with powerhead then test again. how long has it been in the 9 range? it is on the high side but what percent water change are you doing with that water? if its 10%, i think it should be fine if you add 25% of the water at a time per hour.

EmilyB
02-28-2005, 05:15 AM
I use baking soda to clean the odors from the fridge. :mrgreen: