PDA

View Full Version : fragging glue

mpishi
02-27-2005, 11:12 PM
what's the best way too anchor stuff to rocks?
my mushrooms grow pretty good and knock each other off the rocck to blow and tumble on the substrate
being neat and organized i'd rather attach them to a chunk of rock and get involved in frag trading
i tried thread for my toadstool and all the frags attached and look healthy but it was a frustrating task and i ended up tying them all at weird angles

Quinster
02-28-2005, 11:49 AM
I use plastic (vinyl) window screen and elastics….loosely cover the mushroom with the screen and put elastics at each end so they can’t escape. Glue doesn’t usually work for me due to the soft bottoms on the shrooms.

sumpfinfishe
02-28-2005, 01:42 PM
There are many ways to frag corals:

Softies can be anchored down with elastics, needle and thread, or as mentioned netting wrap. Softies cannot be glued or epoxied due to there soft tissue, they will simply let go so you need to use the above methods or place rubble rock around the softie(mushroom for eg) and let it spread naturally. You could also sandwich the softie between two pieces of base rock so that the coral will be forced to spread one way or the other. My mushroom tip is at the bottom of this reply.

LPS/SPS are the corals that usually get glued, drilled, or epoxied.
Stoney corals can be easier or harder to mount depending on the species and what you are mounting it on. Although because the have a hard skeleton it's usually much easier to mount these corals over softies. It's a matter of having good fragging glue/aquarium safe epoxy, base rock, some cutting tools and a delicate touch.

Do a search of "methods of fragging" for more info, there's tons of information out there, and a few online magazines such as Reefkeeping.com and Advanced Aquarist.com have great articles or tips written on this subject.

Mushroom tip-when I kept mushrooms, I use to frag them by putting a whole bunch of small pieces of rock in a small container with a bunch of mushrooms that I sliced in half with a razor blade. I kept the container in the main tank with a clear lid ontop and some small holes drilled in the sides for circulation. After a week or two I would have 10-15 new small frags of mushroom rock.

danny zubot
02-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Are you sure you want your shrooms to spread? I usually just leave mine because they go were they want to go anyway.

ABreefkpr
02-28-2005, 02:57 PM
Wedding veil for softies. You can by rolls of it, it's soft and porous.

Keith