PDA

View Full Version : Refugium

Jaws
02-27-2005, 06:55 PM
Is it more advantageous to have a shallow refugium or a deep one? The reason I ask is I have two choices:

1. I can have a 55 tank, measuring 60" long, 18" wide and 12" high, which would fit over top of my 18.5" high 70G sump. I was going to split this tank into two. About 2/3 will be the refugium and the remaining 1/3 will be a quarantine tank.

or

2. I have about 20" by 18" to work with in the side cabinet and lots of height. I'm not sure what tank I could use for this space but i'm thinking like a 15 tall or an 18" nano. Remember, I have lots of height to work with so I can even go with an extra tall tank if it's more advantageous.

I've also decided to go with an upside down sandbed in the refugium based on an article I read by Dr. Charles Matthews in the annual edition of Marine Fish. Sounds pretty cool. Suggestions are encouraged.

Aquattro
02-27-2005, 07:57 PM
Are you going to grow macro algae in the fuge? If so, shallow might be better for light penetration.

StirCrazy
02-27-2005, 10:55 PM
I've also decided to go with an upside down sandbed in the refugium based on an article I read by Dr. Charles Matthews in the annual edition of Marine Fish. Sounds pretty cool. Suggestions are encouraged.

:eek: you need to stop reading :mrgreen:

Steve

Jaws
02-28-2005, 05:23 AM

:eek: you need to stop reading :mrgreen:

Steve

Makes for a good point though. It pushes nutrients up through the sandbed so they don't build up.

Chin_Lee
02-28-2005, 05:37 AM
Jason
i believe the good doctor have since indicated that in order to facilitate that theory, the number of critters to most reefer's fish bioload would be too high and not practical/realistic in an aquarium environment.
there have been some reports of people who have experienced the deep sandbeds "storing" the nutrients instead which caused major nutrient spikes when the beds were disturbed. I have my 5" dsb in a refugium part of my sump which is seperated from the other parts of the sump. If I really need to, I can stop the water flow, SUCK out all the sand and I wouldn't have a DSB any more.
A dsb of 3-5 inches should work under most circumstances. hth

Jaws
02-28-2005, 06:04 AM
You wouldn't have a sandbed at all or just a 3" one?

Aquattro
02-28-2005, 06:07 AM
Makes for a good point though. It pushes nutrients up through the sandbed so they don't build up.

My thinking is that PO4 binds to the substrate, regardless of the direction of flow. At saturation point phosphate is then released into the water coumn....