PDA

View Full Version : What to do when going on Vacation....

Xtasia
02-27-2005, 04:15 PM
So I'm pushing around the idea of going on vacation for 2-3 weeks...

For people without family or capable friends nearby, how do people keep their tanks going in their absense? Is there a Fish Sitting service?

I really don't want to come back to a tank full of algae (or worse, a crashed tank).

I'm not going for a long while.. just something I wanted to think about...

Thanks for your feedback.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-27-2005, 04:17 PM
Pssst. I live like 3 minutes away.

BCOrchidGuy
02-27-2005, 04:34 PM
I live in New West, if Seahorse can't make it here or there I can help out a bit.

Doug

Willow
02-27-2005, 05:11 PM
yeah i can just see you guys fragging everything he owns while the guys in hawaii :mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-27-2005, 06:28 PM
Pssst. Willow. Xtasia's a "she". :eek:

But now that you mentioned it, there were some nice fish/corals in the tank when I saw it in November. Clams too. Don't worry Ivy, they'll be well "taken" care of :lol: :lol:

BCOrchidGuy
02-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Honest that's not a clipper in my pocket, it's a line cutting tool for trolley work.. honest.. cough.. uh huh.. frags eh.. gee I never even thought of that.

Doug

Willow
02-27-2005, 09:19 PM
Pssst. Willow. Xtasia's a "she". :eek:

But now that you mentioned it, there were some nice fish/corals in the tank when I saw it in November. Clams too. Don't worry Ivy, they'll be well "taken" care of :lol: :lol:

doh.. sorry we were never formally introducted..

Xtasia
02-28-2005, 05:22 AM
We're introduced now.. :)

Totally awesome dinner SHF! I haven't had such a nice spread in ages!

It was nice meeting you Willow.. you are a very beautiful Redheaded woman... :)

Hrrrmmphhh.. anyone have ideas for fishsitters that doesn't include Fragnapping? :P

Thanks! ( I will definitely need to take you up on the offers, if it ever comes down to that.... I will owe you one in return.)

Willow
02-28-2005, 06:12 AM
it was a great time indeed. :mrgreen:

i would be happy to do a couple of shifts if you want to get away for awhile, i know what’s it's like to worry about your tank while away from home.

btw thanks for the gelato! the fuge is very happy, i love getting door prizes. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

megatron_55
02-28-2005, 06:13 AM
:mrgreen: Be careful with seahorse_fanatic . . . He's a pro . . .He works in a frag farm :mrgreen: . . . J/K

PS

To seahose_fanatic . . . Dude those banana cake were awesome ... tell ur wifey I said thanks! . . . :eating:

hockey nut
02-28-2005, 08:09 AM
Yes, Dinner was fantastic. It was great to meet everyone . Wish we had more time to chat as the evening flew by so fast.

Any ideas on where you might be going for vacation? Somewhere warm and sunny with lots of fish and corals I bet. :mrgreen:

Maybe Anthony can steal me some culupra when your not looking. :eek:

It was very nice to meet you Ivy

BCOrchidGuy
02-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Willow?? You put Gelato in the fuge??? (thought I'd seen it all)lol, just kidding, hope it wasn't straccitella (spell check please)

Doug

Xtasia
02-28-2005, 02:02 PM
Probably going to Malaysia or Hong Kong.. I'm pretty sure the Indo-Pacific has a few things we *might* like :). one of my friends actually carried a fish on her lap for the 18 hour flight home... customs didn't give her any trouble about it, in fact were asking questions about the type of fish, etc.

If you have that information on the Fighting Fish seller in Richmond that would be awesome...

Still looking to fix my makeshift light set up over my FW... I dont' think the light is strong enough for my Amazon swordplants.. Any idea where I could pick up an affordable set up?

Heh, I brought a load of Caulerpa in bubble tea cups, gelato pints, and cottage cheese containers to the dinner, coz I just cleaned out my tank (read: rearranged the rock, coz I splurged on LR) and needed the space... no fear tho, I still have TONS.. Hopefully this caulerpa will work as well in your tank as it has in mine.

TomR, this time I will write.. :P

Willow
02-28-2005, 03:46 PM
the place in richmond is called "Fin-omenal Fish" they are in the blundell shopping center at 2 and blundell back next to the shoppers drugs.

http://www.fin-omenalfish.com/

im not sure how big your FW setup is but i just grabbed 2 of these http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=pc-al0909 actually i got the freshwater versions that are 6700k to put over my fuge and they work and look great. they also have em at king ed for 31 bucks.

Zerandise
02-28-2005, 04:32 PM
I am so bummed that i missed the dinner :( Had plans already tho. WIll make sure to make the next one!!!!

/me kicks himself for keeping his boring plans and not going to the fun one.....

Griffin
02-28-2005, 05:02 PM
I wish i could have come - i have strep throat at the moment and didn't think anyone wanted it :frown: . Thank you again Anthony for the invite. As long as the next one isn't march 11th weekend we will won't miss it.

Cheers
Rich

Tom R
02-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Anthony

That was one fine dinner. You sure know how to arrange a spread.
It is always great to sit and talk shop with other fanatics, oh any have someone feed us Bonus.

Thanks to Xtasia I have some new calurpa for the tank.

Sorry Tigger it was getting late but we will be out to see your tank additions ASAP.

Tom R

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-28-2005, 06:55 PM
You're welcome. Glad everyone had a good time. We'll have to keep in touch on further developments.

Xtasia - thanks for bringing party favours :biggrin:

TomR - thanks for the frags. Hope your new green sinularia takes off like the rest of your corals :eek:

hockey nut
02-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Yah...... I know you brought some caulerpa, my bad...... I don't have my fuge going yet so I didn't want to take some when someone else could have used it first. Next time hopfuly. :smile: .

Sounds like a great holiday. Wish I was going on a vacation. :cry:

TTYL.

LostMind
02-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Malaysia? When are you going?

I'll be in Kuala Lumpur (KL!) in the end of june. Singapore, Brunei and Koh Samui are also on the itinerary for me and my fiancee (it's our honeymoon).

I have a good friend I dragged into the hobby, he's already got a key to my place in case of emergency anyways....

LostMind
03-02-2005, 12:30 AM
woot! look at me - I'ma thread killer!

Willow
03-02-2005, 12:51 AM
haha.. oh crap now i did it.

Xtasia
03-05-2005, 04:08 PM
Willow, regarding that light fixture you posted is it going to output enough light for a 33g to grow Swordplants?

9w seems like not much...

Xtasia
03-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Pssst. I live like 3 minutes away.

Oh yeah... and this is why I need a fishsitter.. haha!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-05-2005, 04:31 PM
I'll even bring my own key & buckets :lol: :lol: