PDA

View Full Version : Moving back to Edmonton

geopod
02-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Hey everyone.My name is George and I am moving back to the best city in Canada.(hehehe)Anyways.I have only been in the hobby for 1.5 yrs.And I just hauled my LR and some small corals and my fish out there last week.I am right in the middle of moving back there.Is there any preference as to where people are buying stuff from.Any reccomendations on where to go.Out here in Nova Scotia.I went Natural ocean water for my tank as being the ocean is right next door.But once I do get to Edmonton in 3 weeks I will be setting up my 77g and my 44g.So I will be looking for live sand to help my new sand bed once I get there.Where can I get some??

George

mr_alberta
02-27-2005, 03:28 PM
HI George,

A lot of reefers here do online shopping or buy from other reefers just because everything is so expensive out here. If you are looking for some Live Sand, pm Richer on the board. He is in Edmonton and is trying to sell some sand for cheap. I'm sure he could help you out and hold it for 3 weeks, but don't quote me on that.

If you must buy retail, there are really only specialty store called Aquarium Illusions on the west end of the city. They deal mostly with SW animals and equipment (but they are very expensive IMO). We also have a Big Al's here which is probably much like any other Big Al's you'll see.

geopod
02-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Yes out here we usually use mops or J&L.mostly J&L thyough.I am still trying tofigure out the quickest possible way to get my tank started so that I can put my stuff back in it.As it sits at the petstore in Edmonton the cost daily for boarding adds up very quickly.Yes I stopped in at Aquarium illusions.also.I never stopped in at Big Al's.I remember them when I used to live there.Thanks for the info I will pm richer to find out about the sand.I know I will be looking for alot more stock when I get there.The 77 is gonna be empty.I was selling off much of the stock here before I go to eliminate dead coral and fish....so I will need to restock when I get there.

geopod
02-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions as to a fast way to get my tank restarted when I move.I will be getting water from the Local petstore where my LR and fish are being boarded right now.And I am getting some live sand from rich.Now in your opinoins once I get the water(from the store)in my tank with tthe sand .Can I stick my rock in right away or will I be waiting to do another cycle???????I think I already know what to do but I would like to hear suggestions from others to see what they would do.

George

rusty
03-01-2005, 12:06 AM
:biggrin: Dump and pray :exclaim: :eek: :razz:
You might be able to get away with getting as much water from the store as you can try get 1/2 TO 2/3 of your tank volume than fill the rest up with new saltwater. I basicly did that when I moved into my new place and I did not lose any livestock, I got a nasty cyano bloom but it is starting to go away. :biggrin: Welcome back to the best city in the world :exclaim:

geopod
03-01-2005, 04:03 PM
I am not worried about a cyano bloom they go away eventually.I just want to get my stuff out from the petstore ASAP when I get there as it is costing money just sitting there.And Once I get my tanks up I want to get them stocked again..Sooo...I will be looking for fish and corals(more)but will have to shop around for better pricing.Though, It is cheaper to buy in Edmonton than here in Halifax.LR in halifax is 17$ a lb.And a banded shrimp is 49$ just to give you an idea what prices are like here.chromis are like 29$ too.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-01-2005, 06:19 PM
Ouch. Make sure you test the LFS's water, since I know most LFS around here have water that I never go from the bag into my tank. If it's from their coral displays, then it's your best bet. If it's from the fish tanks, then see if they use copper, check salinity & nitrates especially. You might be better off seeing if any locals can board your stuff for a couple of weeks & it'll probably be cheaper & safer. I hear they'll do anything for some beer :lol: (jk) You'll also make some useful contacts that way.

JMO

Anthony

michika
03-01-2005, 06:27 PM
Did you get your sand?

Are you bording at AI?

rusty
03-02-2005, 01:34 AM
I hear they'll do anything for some beer .

mmmmmmmm beer :drinking:

geopod
03-20-2005, 02:48 AM
ONE MORE WEEK........... :razz: :lol: .Yaaaahhhhhh....Then I will be back to the big city.Time is dragging for us here as I just wanna get back to Edmonton already.Then I will be back home.I see all these people selling frags and corals and fish....it is driving me nuts cause I am still in Nova Scotia and cant buy nothing....yet..... :frown: : And someone was talking about beer drinking:for set up.......speaking of beer......I have to go now.....I am thirsty.

geopod
03-20-2005, 02:59 AM
Speaking of boarding.......I have to send a big thank you out to (Lee) Bulletsworld.....She picked up my livestock from the petstore where I was boarding and she took it home to her tank and my livestock is literally coming back to life.I owe you big time for this ....So I just thought I would let everyone know how appreciative the thought was and I took it.And I say she saved my livestock.....THANKS LEE>>>>>>I heard you guys are like that there in the city.I know we are out here.We take turns helping each other out whether we are feeding fish while someone is on holidays or we are driving 2 - 3 hours to bring water for emergency water changes when a cucumber gets cought in a powerhead.And dont get any ideas about my Jawfish (jaws) Lee...... :razz:

Richer
03-20-2005, 03:39 AM
A week huh?

If you need any help moving, setting up your tank, etc. feel free to give me a shout. I still have half a bucket of sand for you. :razz:

-Rich

geopod
03-20-2005, 04:11 AM
Thanks Rich.I fly outa here on Good Friday....And the movers should be there I believe around the 4 of April...Not soon enough for me.

kuatto
03-20-2005, 04:21 AM
George,are you being posted with the miltary?I did 5 years on the base in Greenwood,nice place.Been here with the base since 96.

geopod
03-20-2005, 11:29 AM
Yeh you guessed it.No one intheir right mind would move to Greenwood now would they?I spend 8 yrs in Edmonton with 1 VP then I remustered to EGS Tech.and got posted to Greenwood.Now I am going to 1 CER.Glad to get back there I tell ya.This place is like a cross between Deliverance and Days of our Lives.

Beverly
03-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Hope the weather warms up by the time you get here. It's been cold, windy and snowing the last few days :eek: Long range forecast is for more of the same :confused:

geopod
03-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Well cant be different from here right now we are still getting hit with snow almost everyday.Not much but it is still in the air.The storms come in off the ocean quite frequently.I wont miss this.Naw Edmonton shouls be warming up soon.Spring is here and days are getting longer so the weather should be picking up.Yes I am knocking on wood right now.....

bulletsworld
03-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Speaking of boarding.......I have to send a big thank you out to (Lee) Bulletsworld.....She picked up my livestock from the petstore where I was boarding and she took it home to her tank and my livestock is literally coming back to life.I owe you big time for this ....So I just thought I would let everyone know how appreciative the thought was and I took it.And I say she saved my livestock.....THANKS LEE>>>>>>

Awww....hey no problem! *HUGS* Us reefers gotta stick together! I'm just glad I could help a reefer out. Just wished I got your stuff outta boarding sooner due to their poor poor lighting/tank conditions that resulted in some coral loss. But good news is... stuff is recovering nicely and Jaw's your Jaw Fish is an adorable cutie pie...o.k your clowns are cute too..hehe. Also us reefers will gladly board for FREE no need to pay and IMO your stuff will be in WAY better care as if it's our own. :wink:

You will find once your down here that this reef community is packed with great, very friendly, kind hearted people that just have a amazing passion for the hobby and that are always willing to give a helping hand, especially if you mention the word "Beer" to some of the guys here. :lol:

Well I look forward to meeting you this weekend! Have a safe flight!

Lee