PDA

View Full Version : Brown Algae and bubbles

Jaws
02-27-2005, 01:15 AM
I moved my 90G to my new address about 3 weeks ago. The tank never looked better the first couple weeks it was set up but now it looks terrible. There's somewhat stringy, brown algae growing on the rocks covered in bubbles. There's a lot on the back wall as well and the water's kinda cloudy too. The skimmer seems to be working well though, pulling lots of stuff out. Is this just forming because of the tank being moved and it will pass over time or could it be something else?

Aquattro
02-27-2005, 01:29 AM
likely from the nutrients getting released during the move. feed light, keep the skimmer clean.
If it's snotty looking stuff, it could be dinos....

Jaws
02-27-2005, 03:54 AM
I'll get a pic of it tomorrow. If it is dinos, what's the best thing to do for that?

Aquattro
02-27-2005, 04:12 AM
If it is dinos, what's the best thing to do for that?

you should pray to the reef gods.... :razz:

Jaws
02-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Not the answer I was looking for Brad.

Jaws
02-27-2005, 06:24 PM
One other thing too. When I was sucking up the algae off of the sandbed, there were long brown hair-like things growing in the sand that stayed anchored in there. They are still exposed on the top of the bed. Any idea what they might be?

Aquattro
02-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Not the answer I was looking for Brad.

I know, but really, I wasn't kidding... :neutral:

rickjames
02-27-2005, 10:11 PM
One other thing too. When I was sucking up the algae off of the sandbed, there were long brown hair-like things growing in the sand that stayed anchored in there. They are still exposed on the top of the bed. Any idea what they might be?

I have some stringy brown algae on my sand as well, it seems to grow little roots that clump the sand together. I think it is just some species of hair algae. The good news is that (at least in my tank) it doesn't seem to grow or spread very fast, and is easy to pick off.

Mind you it could just be being out competed for nutrients by all 100 other species of algae in my tank.... :rolleyes:

Brennan

mr_alberta
02-27-2005, 11:53 PM
Yikes, I'm getting some of the stuff you guys are describing in my tank as well. I don't understand, the tank has been set up since Nov/Dec '04 and now its just starting to appear. I do weekly waterchanges and I don't have any sand in my tank either. I only feed 2 times a week too!

KrazyKuch
02-28-2005, 12:00 AM
Your not the only one getting it in their tank I am also getting it.....It's brown and has roots that grow into the sand.....My tank has been setup Since How do i get ride of it!!

Reefhawk1
02-28-2005, 12:56 AM
I seem to have the same problem on my sand bed. This brownish type algae seems to haunt me every time I set up an new saltwater setup. The good news is it goes away in time. My tank has been set up since the end of December but it is still cycling and it will for quite some time, I have read it takes up to a year to be fully cycled. In that time freak algae blooms aren't uncommon.

How are all of your water parameters ?

Stan

KrazyKuch
02-28-2005, 01:02 AM
Sg - 1.025
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm
pH - 8.2
Ca - 480pm

We just finished fighting our nitrates got a Fuge and that got ride of our nitrate completely!!The Brown algea showed up after the nitrate problems!

Winters
02-28-2005, 05:43 AM
Hello! Reading this post, it sounds like the issue I'm having with my new aquarium too! I've recently added about 100lbs of (semi cured) live rock to my aquarium and have also started using my 2x250W HQI pendants as well. (Was this a bad combination to do all at once?) I have a 90g + 20g sump with protein skimmer.

Anyway... I'm now getting a fair bit of brownish algae coming up on the glass at an alarming rate. Some of it looks like brown smears whearas some looks like sticky brown snot-like :rolleyes: stuff. Plus there's other stuff that looks like theads. Here are some pictures:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/ihayat/Aquarium_LightAndRock/Algae_Close_up.jpg
Here you can see all three types on the front glass.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/ihayat/Aquarium_LightAndRock/Algae_Corner.jpg
Here's a corner shot showing just the alarming amount of this on the glass.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/ihayat/Aquarium_LightAndRock/Algae_Front.jpg
A zoomed-out view. You can see that the algae seems to be pointing away from the outflow of water coming up from the sump.

I'm not sure if this is standard brown algae, red algae, dynoflagellates, hair algae, cyanobacteria, or something different altogether. Can someone help? What should I do?

Reefhawk1
02-28-2005, 02:06 PM
All you can do is make sure your water parameters are where they should be. Also try using Ro water for top off and water changes. One last problem could be the amount of time your lights are on . How long do you keep your lights on each day?

Jaws
02-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Mine are on from 11am until 9pm.

Jaws
02-28-2005, 06:15 PM
The weirdest part about the whole thing is my corals have never looked better. Granted they still have a long way to go but they've finally started to color up and are looking healthy.