PDA

View Full Version : Grounding your tank

Saltysteve
02-26-2005, 06:19 AM
How important is it to ground your tank? I seen a unit that I believe is called a grounding probe. Is it necessary?
Thanx :redface:

Willow
02-26-2005, 06:23 AM
no but it's a good idea. i installed one in my sump.

Nemo
02-26-2005, 06:28 AM
I did not have one and my heater broke. I would say the $12.00 is cheap insurance

BTW I installed all GFIC plugs as well after that.

Robert

EmilyB
02-26-2005, 06:35 AM
How important is it to ground your tank? I seen a unit that I believe is called a grounding probe. Is it necessary?

A grounding probe without a GFCI can be dangerous. The purpose of the grounding probe is to drain stray current to ground. This will trip your GFCI.

I only know because I have been drilled...several times..

Nemo
02-26-2005, 10:58 AM

A grounding probe without a GFCI can be dangerous. The purpose of the grounding probe is to drain stray current to ground. This will trip your GFCI.

I only know because I have been drilled...several times..

A GFIC breaker or plug trips with current on the neutral. the groundding probe directs the current to the earth ground through the plug. Electricity will take the path of least ressistance to ground, providing the probe you are only providing the path.

What I have done is a bit redundant, because if a heater breaks again the GFIC should trip before the breaker. But if I have a bad GFIC for any reason at least the current will travel to ground rather than flow through out the tank.

Robert

Saltysteve
02-26-2005, 02:52 PM
Looks like I'll be doing some electrical work in the near future :cool:
Thanks for the replies!

Willow
02-26-2005, 02:59 PM
most of my tank isn't on a gfi with the exception of my heater, ground probe and the fuge lights. it the heater wigs out it will trip the gfi, if something else goes wrong it should in theory shut off the fuge lights alerting me to a problem.

KrazyKuch
02-26-2005, 04:51 PM
A GFIC breaker or plug trips with current on the neutral. the groundding probe directs the current to the earth ground through the plug. Electricity will take the path of least ressistance to ground, providing the probe you are only providing the path.

Robert

GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interupter) Theirfore it responds to current on the ground....Some people don't know this but their is always current traveling on your neutral!!!

BMW Rider
02-26-2005, 05:31 PM

Robert

GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interupter) Theirfore it responds to current on the ground....Some people don't know this but their is always current traveling on your neutral!!!

A GFCI monitors the current in the hot and neutral lines. If there is a difference between the two due to a ground fault ie: a short to ground, it will interupt ie: shut off, the current in to the circuit. The ground plug is unaffected by the GFCI.

http://homerepair.about.com/cs/electrical/a/GFCI_what_is.htm

Nemo
02-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Thank you Ed that was a much clearer description. That is what happens when you post that early in the morning

Robert

StirCrazy
02-26-2005, 08:03 PM
Thanx :redface:

invest in a GFI first. I run my tanks on GFI's and I haven't grounded them.

will a GFI work properly on a grounded tank?

Steve