PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: AC/DC Adapter

canadawest
05-24-2002, 08:51 PM
Anyone have an old 12V AC/DC adapter that they don't want/need anymore? Send me an email if you do.

Need one or two for running a 12VDC cooling fan in my hood.

StirCrazy
05-24-2002, 09:59 PM
does it matter what voltage and amprage the out put is Andrew? I must have 10 or 20 different ones I have ammased over the years if I can find them LOL

Steve

canadawest
05-25-2002, 05:01 PM
Probably doesn't matter too much, but as close to 12VDC output would be great as I will just be using a computer fan which operates at 12VDC.

I suspect a higher or lower output would only affect the speed of the fan's rotation?

If you find a suitable one kicking around let me know.

Aquattro
05-26-2002, 03:52 AM
Andrew, I found that using PC fans (12v) isn't a great idea. Mine kept dying every month or so. Got to be a bit of a pain. I spent $22 ea. for a couple of 120v 4" fans, and they're still running fine. Of course, it could just be me :-)

canadawest
05-26-2002, 04:15 AM
Where did you buy your fans at Brad?

I noticed Radio Shack online has em listed, but they are $32 for a 120V 7.6cm 32CFM 10watt model and $34 for a 120V 10cm 65CFM 22watt model.

I am looking for something that is quiet, yet has as high a CFM and low a power consumption as possible.

Aquattro
05-26-2002, 04:21 AM
Andrew, I got mine from an electronics shop over here. Ican get you a name of a place in Van that has them cheap. Mine are only ~32 cfm, but they pump a lot more air than the PC fans did. However, quiet is an option I didn't order. Not too loud, but I can hear them.

DJ88
05-26-2002, 05:09 AM
Andrew,

Before you run out and buy a DC adapter two things you need to concider. If you are going to run two fans that is.

1. if you are using DC fans are you going to wire them up in parallel or series?

2. Once you know that then you need to find out what the max current the fan can handle is.

If the fans is to be wired in parallel you need to find an adapter that provides the same amount of current as what each fan can handle added together. If you wire them in series make sure hte two fans are of equal amperage then find an adapter to run the same current draw.

If you run one fan all you need to do is find a suplly that gives the equal amount of current as teh fan is rated for. not more or you WILL burn it out.

ie if you run in parallel and the fans are rated for 1500mA you will need a supply that will povide 3000mA. If in series and they are both rated for 1500mA you need one supply that gives 1500mA.

The best place for getting cooling fans is at an electronics supply shop. look for 4" DC cooling fans. As a rule of thumb they will require 12VDC. Look for those ones. You can get ones that need 24VDC but the adapters for those are more expensive.

A fan shouldn't cost you more than $12 each. And wil last more than a year(or longer if taken care of) as long as they aren't being overdriven. This will wear them out or burn them out in no time. Faster than corrosion.

A brand new DC adapter is no more than $15 for the right one if you are running a single fan. Total cost won't be that much money in all.

HTH

reefburnaby
05-26-2002, 05:26 AM
Hi,

Keep in mind that 1A and larger adapters are quite expensive. One alternative that you can think about using is a normal 12V - 2A/10A battery charger.

- Victor.

DJ88
05-26-2002, 06:34 AM
They shouldn't be that expensive. I bought a 1500mA 12VDC adapter for $15 at a shop on main street. And three 4" DC fans at about $12 each. Maybe at Radio Shack or some rip off joint like that they are higher. like $30 or so.

StirCrazy
05-26-2002, 01:40 PM
Hey Andrew, I check around lat night and all my adapters I have laying around (all 24 of them) are in the range of 6vdc to 9vdc. walkman type adapters.

Steve

canadawest
05-27-2002, 04:41 AM
Darn Steve, wont work for me.

Well, a DC fan and an adapter are going to cost me around $30, and an AC fan is going to cost me around $30, so to me it's likely just which one is quieter.

I'll probably just go the AC route as then I don't have to mess with cutting and splicing wires.

Guess I'm going to go out fan shopping and see what I can come up with.