PDA

View Full Version : mini-mantis

michika
02-24-2005, 09:41 PM
What might a infantile mantis look like? And or what do baby cleaner shrimp look like? I've found something in my tank, caught it in a test tub and now i'm trying to ID it.

its so small my camera won't take a picture and I'm hesitant to release him back into the tank if it is indeed a mantis.

Help?

Aquattro
02-24-2005, 09:49 PM
a baby mantis looks just like a big one...

michika
02-24-2005, 09:55 PM
This thing is so little its hard to distinguish features. I'm leaning towards mantis as and ID based on its behavior.

Ryan
02-24-2005, 10:39 PM
why not buy one of them breeder cubes and put it in there to see what it is? alot of peole are starting to keep them things so u could either sell it or give it away.

michika
02-24-2005, 10:44 PM
I vote giving it away, its kind of creepy actually.

Want it?

Azilla
02-25-2005, 12:53 AM
How did u catch it?

michika
02-25-2005, 01:55 AM
I saw something red floating above my sand sifter starfish, when I looked closer it was moving, so I grabbed a turkey baster, pulled it up and put it into a test tube. It was one of those luck of the draw things. Its so incrediably tiny that there is no way I would have spotted it if it hadn't caught my eye!

bulletsworld
02-25-2005, 03:59 AM
You left me curious now...did you id it yet? What did you end up doing with it?

:eek:

Ryan
02-25-2005, 05:24 AM
Hmmm i think mantis are green. It could be a Pistol, Cleaner, Blood, or Peppermint i would keep it. Grow it up the worst thing is that it is going to be something u dont want or like and u will have to give it away. That wont be very hard.

Azilla
02-25-2005, 05:53 AM
Hmmm i think mantis are green. It could be a Pistol, Cleaner, Blood, or Peppermint i would keep it. Grow it up the worst thing is that it is going to be something u dont want or like and u will have to give it away. That wont be very hard.

Ummm Mantis are all colors! Haven't u looked at pictures or are u thinking of the BUG! This is reef mantis not a tree mantis

hockey nut
02-25-2005, 07:02 AM
I hope there are no mommy mantis's in the tank? You might have made her mad removing her baby. :mrgreen:

albert_dao
02-25-2005, 07:32 AM
Uhhh, might it just be a big isopod or amphipod?

Aquattro
02-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Ummm Mantis are all colors!

Actually, the hitchiker mantis you'd find on LR are almost always grren or brown. The chances of a peacock mantis coming in LR are small.

As for this critter, it if was a mantis, you would never have scooped it up with a turkey baster. More likely a baby pistol shrimp, I've seen lots of those really tiny ones in boxes of freshly shipped rock.

muck
02-25-2005, 02:11 PM
If you want to get rid of it I can offer it a home in my fuge.
But I would keep it and grow it up a bit if I were you...

Dez
02-25-2005, 02:14 PM

There he goes trying to snatch of free stuff again :biggrin:

muck
02-25-2005, 02:17 PM

There he goes trying to snatch of free stuff again :biggrin:
I don't think I will ever shake that title now... :confused:

Besides I stated that I would keep it if I were her. :bad-word:

michika
02-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Well whatever it was it was a red brown. Unfortunatly I think something had taken a nip at it (probably my Lemonpeel Angel) before I'd captured it.

The poor thing is dead. :rolleyes: :cry: I was going to keep it it in a breeder box in my fug though. So if I find another one into my fug it goes.

It didn't look like any shrimp though so I seriously doubt it was a shrimp, the body composition was all wrong. I'm about 90% sure it was a mantis. I guess we'll see I'm going to keep a close watch and pull out any others.

Here is hoping there are more and they are mini cleaner shrimps, then it would be free/uber-cheap cleaner shrimps for all!