PDA

View Full Version : keeping Powder brown tang

hockey nut
02-24-2005, 08:04 PM
Just wanted peoples thoughts on the powder brown tang and or white cheak tang.

Agressive? Good eaters ? How do they get along with other fish and say another tang. ie. sailfin or kole

I am starting a compatable fish and coral list as I am getting close to finally finishing my 120.

Thanks for your help........ :biggrin:

Aquattro
02-24-2005, 08:17 PM
those are 2 different fish, A. japonicus and A. nigricans. The later, nigricans (white cheek) is supposed to be tough to keep, although I've had mine a couple of years now. Good eater, social, doesn't fight (much) with the yellow tang. Got ich once, ate lots of garlic and it went away in a day.
Loves meaty food as well as nori.

Tarolisol
02-24-2005, 08:59 PM
I had bad resluts with the white cheek tang, ate fine or so i thought untill it died one day.

Aquattro
02-24-2005, 09:17 PM
I had bad resluts with the white cheek tang, ate fine or so i thought untill it died one day.

That's a common complaint with them. I just got lucky, I guess. I did have a powder brown (a. japonicus) long ago, but it died within months of getting it.

bulletsworld
02-25-2005, 04:57 AM
When I was reading up about these fish the two different kinds, I read several articles that claimed the nigricans (white cheek) does not do well in captivity lasting only maybe a few months. Rarely I see them for sale down here.if ever.

The A. japonicus (mask face) is said to be easier kept and more hardy.

They sure are pretty fish.

hockey nut
02-25-2005, 06:42 AM
The Japonicus and the Nigricans are supposed to be somewhat similar. ( at least that's what the book says ) It also states the Nigricans to be an easier fish to keep than the powder brown. I like the looks of the powder brown and was thinking it might be less agressive than the Powder Blue (The stories I've heard ) with similar looks as the P blue. The White cheek following a close 3rd for preferance. I also like the looks of the Naso but gets too big.

I'm in no rush per say, just doing some homework. You can learn alot from reading books but I also think you get more of a true feel from talking to fellow reefers.

Thanks for all your imput............ :mrgreen:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-25-2005, 06:47 AM
My japonicus was an ick magnet :evil: before it went bye-bye :evil: Better luck with other tangs. Trying to stay away from known ick magnets in the future, but regals are so beautiful :frown:

Anthony