PDA

View Full Version : Nano-appropriate goby or blenny?

Fish
02-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Hi all,
I have recently had to remove the baby clown from my nano as there has proven to be too much current inside the little tank and a fish that spends its time in the water column has no place to rest. For this reason, I am looking at getting a fish that can "sit" on the substrate instead. Would a bi-color or midas blenny work in a small 2gal nano? If not, can someone recommend an apropriate "sitting" fish?
As always, thanks for your help!

- Chad

muck
02-24-2005, 03:25 PM
I really like the red head goby. I'm currently keeping an eye out for one for my tank...

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=202

Fish
02-24-2005, 09:12 PM
Ryan,
Good choice bro. That little guy only reaches half the size of the other two. I don't think I've ever seen one locally though. If you find one let me know - I will do the same.

- Chad

Cap'n
02-25-2005, 01:20 AM
You could try the clown gobies, but I've heard they are difficult to keep for long.

Fish
02-25-2005, 01:54 AM
That is a nice small fish too. I think Bob has a yellow clown goby... and I know that Wai's usually stocks them.
Do you think that a bicolour is too big for this tank?

- Chad

Bob I
02-25-2005, 02:58 AM
The Yellow Clown Goby is very good. I have had two of them (in different tanks) for months. I don't think they are very long lived though. I would not try to keep a Bicolor in a tank that small. :eek:

AndyL
02-25-2005, 03:07 AM
I've got a redhead in my 2.5. Saw a "Pygmy maroon goby" at oceans the other day - it was pretty damn cool, looks like a relative of the redheaded goby (but the red stripe runs down the body, not just covering the head)

Andy

Bob I
02-25-2005, 03:09 AM
I've got a redhead in my 2.5. Saw a "Pygmy maroon goby" at oceans the other day - it was pretty damn cool, looks like a relative of the redheaded goby (but the red stripe runs down the body, not just covering the head)

Andy

I bought one of those, but unfortunately I don't know if it is still around.

Fish
02-25-2005, 03:24 AM
I haven't been to that store yet. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the tip Andy.

- Chad

Fish
03-08-2005, 02:37 AM
Just an update:

Wais has a couple Green Clown Gobys left. They are a really neat little fish that I have been trying to identify - then find - ever since I saw a photo of one in the Nano Reef edition of Coral magazine.
But...
At the last moment I decided to get a Bicolor blenny instead of the GCG just because they are so hardy. I don't regret my decision because the bicolor really has a ton of personality and is doing great in this tank.
I will try and get a few updated photos.

- Chad

Xtasia
03-09-2005, 06:45 AM
Had my YCG for 1 year and the previous owner had it for 2 years... still going strong.... And an awesome fish :D