PDA

View Full Version : Kent's Liquid Reactor

sumpfinfishe
02-24-2005, 04:24 AM
I recently picked up a bottle of Liquid Reactor by Kent Marine.
All I can say is this stuff is liquid magic. For almost 5yrs I have been dripping kalkwasser and now I no longer need to. Not only does it raise my levels of Ca back up to a healthy 450ppm it has also brought my Alk levels back up too! My tank is only 27gl so adding a real reactor seems almost overkill, so until I upgrade the tank I will be sticking to LR.

Best buy in a long time :biggrin:

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-24-2005, 05:04 AM
Yup. Love that Liquid Reactor as well. Great for our smaller reef tanks & my corals have been doing much better now that I dose with this & diluted Lugol's Solution instead of what I used to use (Kent's Liq. Calcium & Iodine solutions).

Anthony

BCOrchidGuy
02-27-2005, 02:02 AM
Was using it for a long time, built my reactor, now I'm going to get into reefing again I'll be buying more. I used to suppliment it with SeaChem stuff, calcium gluconate and it was great for coraline algae but I was warned not to use to much for to long.

StirCrazy
02-27-2005, 03:26 PM
watch out for some of the liquid reactors as they use chemicals to raise Alk that are not usable by the corals.

Does it say which ingredients it is using?

Steve

BCOrchidGuy
02-27-2005, 04:11 PM
RO/DI water, chloride-free calcium, magnesium, and strontium salts from natural sources.
This product will raise the concentrations of calcium, magnesium, strontium, and carbonates (alkalinity) in the system, and is chloride, phosphate, nitrate, and gluconate free!

From the Kent site.

Doug

StirCrazy
02-27-2005, 11:03 PM
ya I wish they had to list the ingreadents, the problem is a lot of these places are using borite as a componant. it raises Alk great but it is not usable by corals. so this is why when using some of thoes types of additives the Alk stays up for a while and you don't have to use as much. I use plain old baking soda to maintain my Alk (untill I get my new Ca reactor done) as baking soda is useable by the corals.

Steve

BCOrchidGuy
02-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Steve, leave it to me I'll find out for you asap.

Doug

AJ_77
02-28-2005, 09:18 PM
Curious about this stuff too, but couldn't remember where I read a couple of negative comments in an RC thread or two. Randy H-F has some concerns but doesn't seem to give it the thumbs-up OR down...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2002/chem.htm

He seems to question the usefulness of slurries in general. :confused: But here you guys have logged two stellar reports, so... :biggrin:

s dubay
03-04-2005, 07:34 PM
I grew coraline like crazy after i started useing the liquid reactor,i think it is great stuff!

wayner
03-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Anyone know who carries it in Calgary?, I'm getting ahead of myself with acros, and won't have a reactor for a bit

AJ_77
03-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Ha, Wayne! :biggrin:

Ask Brody at Big Al's if he brought some in - I asked him to, and he had an order going in, said he might try it.

wayner
03-08-2005, 05:34 PM
Hi Allan:

I've heard some good things about Big Al's of late that there willing to price match J&L's, hope that wasn't a secret :smile: , we still need to get together don't we?

Willow
03-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Hi Allan:

I've heard some good things about Big Al's of late that there willing to price match J&L's, hope that wasn't a secret :smile: , we still need to get together don't we?

i was in ba yesterday and got into a fight with those idiots. i asked them to clarify their price matching policy. they told me that on website based stores they don't really want to price match because it isn’t fair to them, they said even j&l is "gray area". he started to get into how j&l have wrecked the industry by selling salt for "below cost". dang it's like listing to why my bank is upping their service charges. i said if you guys lowered your prices you might be more competitive, they sorta looked at each other and snickered. he actually had the balls to tell me that on some of their products they are cheaper than j&l, i said what like the tunze stuff, he said well our stream price is ONLY $30 dollars more! the real irony was i was in looking for some eco-complete planted soil mix, i said on your big als us site you sell it for 17.99 bucks a bag but in canada you sell it for 39.99 a bag what the hell? he told me yeah well that’s all mail order, there is a difference you know. :2gunfire:

AJ_77
03-08-2005, 06:04 PM
ummm... do they have liquid reactor there or not? :confused:

Wayne, if you're talking green Cap, I have one left. :mrgreen:

EmilyB
03-08-2005, 09:26 PM
Just get Premium Aquatics to mail you some. I'm waiting for mine now.

AJ_77
03-08-2005, 11:09 PM
Deb, is that cheaper than from J&L? I'm going to try that route, I think.

http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=k-lr16

EmilyB
03-08-2005, 11:36 PM
I guess in the quantities I need yah... :lol: I'm getting 64oz for $24.95 US.

Willow
03-09-2005, 12:00 AM
pa is a nice place to order from but with the shipping, exchange, tax(s) and clearance fee you have to order enough stuff to make it worthwhile. i bet if you only order the reactor you will break even on it.

AJ_77
03-09-2005, 12:19 AM
I guess in the quantities I need yah... :lol: I'm getting 64oz for $24.95 US.
Rats, wish we had more group orders... :razz:

Good deal! :eek:

EmilyB
03-09-2005, 02:58 AM
Yah Alan...maybe you should try organizing one for a change... :razz: :lol:

AJ_77
03-09-2005, 04:10 AM
Yah Alan...maybe you should try organizing one for a change... :razz: :lol:

Right! I may be crazy, but I ain't THAT crazy! :lol:

It would be a 6-pager for sure... :confused:

muck
03-10-2005, 06:53 PM
How often does everyone dose this?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
03-10-2005, 07:36 PM
I dose mine once or twice a week, but I have only softies, zoos, shrooms & a few LPS. If you want good coraline growth or have SPS, more frequently for sure, maybe even daily.

Anthony

BCOrchidGuy
03-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Liquid Reactor contains no Bromine and no Chlorides, pH is 7 @25C. MSDS safety sheet says it's Calcium Carbonate and water.

Doug

sumpfinfishe
03-10-2005, 11:36 PM
Ryan,
I was told to find out the depleation rate of my reef so I had to get the levels up to 440ppm, then test everyday for a week. At the end of the week I was able to figure out my rate. I was loosing 20ppm per day and because LR would increase the Ca levels by 33ppm per 1ml I simply add 3ml to my top off water every 3-4 days.
I was told to do this as LR is pretty strong stuff so one should not be overdosing or simply squirting in a bunch of drops here and there.
I'm really happy with the results so far, my levels have stablized at 420ppm and all my SPS have seen very positive effects with increased polyp extension and growth rates. The only downside is that it clouds up the water for an hour or two so I try to dose in late evening or early morning.

muck
03-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Thanks Rich. That helps big time!! :biggrin:

whatever
04-09-2005, 10:05 AM
FWIW when you get to the bottom of the liquid reactor and you still have a bunch of solid on the bottom, you can refill with fresh RODI, shake and your good to go again. It may not be as strong as before, so you may need to add more than you were adding before to maintain levels.
As far as BA goes. In BC, at least, they are the worst. Poor service, high prices, unknowledgeable staff and on many a ocaasion, verry rude. Why bother going there to try to get them to price match. It's not worth the hassle. There are plenty of stores in BC and on the net, that beat them in every way, IMHO

Willow
04-09-2005, 03:38 PM
As far as BA goes. In BC, at least, they are the worst. Poor service, high prices, unknowledgeable staff and on many a ocaasion, verry rude. Why bother going there to try to get them to price match. It's not worth the hassle. There are plenty of stores in BC and on the net, that beat them in every way, IMHO

oh oh, i hope justin dosent read this, he will rip your a new one! :razz:

Macross
04-11-2005, 05:27 AM
J&L has it

danny zubot
04-13-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm curious about what people are paying for LR online at various stores?

After reading the article Alan pointed out I've realized where adding to much baking:washing soda (CaCO2:CaCo)buffer can hurt you. When My alk problem was happening I did notice that some of the aragonite was hardening into a brittle or crystalized surface. This surface attracts Ca and Mg out of the water which expaines my low Ca levels.

I finally got my LR and even though I've only used it twice my livestock looks much healthier than before.

Willow
04-13-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm curious about what people are paying for LR online at various stores?

After reading the article Alan pointed out I've realized where adding to much baking:washing soda (CaCO2:CaCo)buffer can hurt you. When My alk problem was happening I did notice that some of the aragonite was hardening into a brittle or crystalized surface. This surface attracts Ca and Mg out of the water which expaines my low Ca levels.

I finally got my LR and even though I've only used it twice my livestock looks much healthier than before.

do you have that link? ive been seeing my sand do a lot of clumping lately and this might expain why.

danny zubot
04-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Thats the 8th post down on the first page of this thread. Alan's post. Its pretty heavy reading but is does explain a few things.