PDA

View Full Version : pH always goes up

digitalsteve
02-23-2005, 03:17 AM
Hey guys , for some reason over time my ph goes up rather then down like most peoples seem to do , what can i do to bring down my ph other then water changes ?

Rikko
02-23-2005, 03:23 AM
An acid in the water will lower pH, but you'd be better served to discover the causes. What pH is it heading towards? Bear in mind that 8.6-8.7 isn't unhealthy (I think Calfo did a series of rants on that topic) so don't assume you *NEED* to be at precisely 8.3 at all times.
What's in the water? Just aragonite? Crushed coral? Silica? Live rock? Any plastics beyond powerheads and the like? Any rock that isn't coral-based? Additives? Kalk drips? Buffers?

This question is so much easier for freshwater... You just tell them that they need to change their gravel. :D

digitalsteve
02-23-2005, 03:50 AM
i have 10 lbs of cured liverock, 10 lbs aragonite for a base and the usual powerheads and such , i do use a buffer , kent marine super dkh buffer but for some reason the ph just likes to steadily climb, it always has. tank is a 10 gallon nano

Beverly
02-23-2005, 03:17 PM
You might be using a little too much buffer in your 10g. How about using slightly less for awhile to see if pH stabilizes.