PDA

View Full Version : well, i've got Ick...

adidas
02-22-2005, 06:30 AM
To add to my growing list of problems, I now have 2 tangs with ick, one dead boxfish, an algea outbreak starting up..... ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

danny zubot
02-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Have your cleaner shrimp done any work on the ich? If not you may want to consider placing the fish in quarentine and treat them. Try hyposalinty treatment versus medication, IMO it works more effectively.

How big/old is your setup again? Need more info to help you with the algae bloom issue.

bulletsworld
02-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Try hyposalinty treatment versus medication, IMO it works more effectively..

I agree.... Copper is very hard on tangs. If you can... try hyposalinity. If you need help ask away. I found way Hypo-salinity to be better for the fish & effective if done properly.

Sorry to hear about your boxfish loss. Boxfish being scaless fish are very expectable to disease & intolerate of changes in your tank. Your lucky with the death of your boxfish that it didn't take the rest of the tank out with it, as they can release toxin. Boxfish also when they get ich should NEVER be treated with copper as they are VERY sensitive & do VERY poorly in copper. Hyposalinity is your best bet if you decide to get another boxfish in the future and incounter disease.

Taking your fish out and doing treatment in a Hospital Tank is always a hard decision. Some feel that if you leave your fish in the tank, improve the problems you are having and make sure for excellent water quality & feed with garlic that the ick will go away, making it less stress for the fish overall. I have also found this to be true at times. But if your fish dont fight the problem (parasites) or you leave the problem to long not fixing water quality then you will have no more fish. Will have to leave tank FISH FREE for 6weeks to be completely free of ick.

It's a judgement call really, as no one knows how your situation is.
But if you need help or have questions with Hypo-salinity, let us know.

Best of luck.

Lee

adidas
02-22-2005, 10:00 PM
Have your cleaner shrimp done any work on the ich? If not you may want to consider placing the fish in quarentine and treat them. Try hyposalinty treatment versus medication, IMO it works more effectively.

How big/old is your setup again? Need more info to help you with the algae bloom issue.

120g moved over from a 55g 3 weeks ago, algea bloom isn't too bad, just need to scrap off glass a bit. I only have one cleaner shrimp, and he is doing some work on them. I plan to pick up 5 more cleaner shrimps in a day or so. I have also started feeding garlic, thought it couldn't hurt.

bulletsworld
02-22-2005, 11:20 PM
My boxfish hasn't been himself lately so I moved him to a qtank. Hour later he had died and expelled the toxins. Thankfully he didn't die in the main tank. Too bad though, he was the most curious, smart and brave fish I had. definately had personality! :(

Oops! I didn't see your other thread on the boxfish. Close call! :eek:

BCOrchidGuy
02-23-2005, 03:00 AM
IF the other ideas don't work and you do decide to medicate I strongly recommend Cupramine by Seachem, it's much gentler on fish than Copper and I found it effective.
Make sure you understand they are recommending Hypo not Hyper salinity as well, you can lower your salinity over a period of a few days as long as the Ich hasn't gotten that bad. If it has I'd get a Cichlid buffer and buffer some FW to 8.3 and do a FW dip, make sure the water is close to the tank temp and well aerated.

Doug

raquel
02-23-2005, 04:04 AM
Ive used the garlic solution, Xtreme garlic on my hippo tang and it works like a charm. I find the garlic and my cleaner shrimp keep things relatively ich free. there are always outbreaks here and there but they go away quickly.
Good luck