PDA

View Full Version : Eye problems in my Flame Angel

lindsayf
02-22-2005, 03:00 AM
I've had my flame angel in my quarantine tank for a little over a week now and I noticed today that he has a swollen eye. Should I medicate it or can it heal on its own? I'm planning on doing a water change tonight should I still proceed with that?

I can add a picture if I can figure out how to do it.

Thanks for your help,

Lindsay[/img]

Reefhawk1
02-22-2005, 03:35 AM
Could you show us a pic? Do a water change and monitor the fish, if the problem gets worse over the next couple of days use medication.

Stan

j83
02-22-2005, 03:35 AM
Do a search for pop-eye - it sounds like what it is.

Pop-eye can be caused by many things - bad water quality, he hit himself, bacterial infection etc. It is not contagious, and can be treated with time and medicine. You can buy pop-eye medicine at most fish stores and can mix it in with his/her food, or and you will have to check on this, treat the whole system for pop-eye, which is okay in your case because you already have him in QT. I would treat sooner than later especially given the species you are dealing with.

Good Luck!

PS - check all parameters before doing a water change - water changes will stress the fish out more, and if it is not needed then i would avoid doing it.

G1GY
02-22-2005, 04:26 AM
I think the benifits of doing your regular water change far outweigh the negitive(Stress) factor.

Just my opinion though. :smile:

lindsayf
02-22-2005, 05:08 AM
I hope this picture works.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/1098fish-005-med.gif

Reefhawk1
02-22-2005, 05:24 AM
Looks like a bacterial infection. A water change with bacterial medication and a slight increase in water temp (depending on temp tank is at) could solve the problem for you.

danny zubot
02-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Thats popeye alright. I had a Clarkii with popeye once, probly caused by injurey. It went away after a week or so in quarentine with regular feedings and water changes. Some say garlic helps too. I'd leave the little guy in quarentine until the swelling goes down and maybe check and see what may have injured its eye.

danny zubot
02-22-2005, 02:48 PM
I forgot to ask if the fish is showing any signs of stress like heavy breathing. It will heal faster if less stressed out, you might consider a slow decline in salinity for a couple of days.

lindsayf
02-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Besides the eye he seems completely healthy, ate really well etc. One more question though - if I do have to treat him with medication should I take the green clown goby out that is in quarantine with him and place him in the main tank or medicate them both together?

lindsayf
03-01-2005, 04:31 AM
UPDATE: the eye doesn't look any better and now his back fin looks a little ragged. He still eats well but spends a lot more time hiding in the rock. I did a 5 gallon water change (20gallon tank) and have been treating with Melafix daily. I think its time that I medicate him - should I take his tank mate (a green clown goby) and put him in my main tank if he's not showing any signs of illness? Also, my quarantine tank has some crabs and snails in it, are there any medications that I could use that are invert friendly or should I set up a new 10 gallon for treatment? Thanks for your help - I'm really worried about him.

Lindsay

EmilyB
03-01-2005, 04:35 AM
Get it in some good stable SW. Melafix screws with ammonia badly.