PDA

View Full Version : pumping xenia not pumping

Invigor
02-21-2005, 05:56 PM
is there any "generic" cause? the polyps are nice and open, but not pulsing. I've got one clump under the current of a powerhead, and one in a low flow area, and neither are pulsing..

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-21-2005, 06:02 PM
Pulsing xenias (from my research & experience) like iodine, low flow & high pH.

Usually, if they're not pulsing, I'll check & find that my pH has dropped. Once I raise the pH to 8.2 or above, pulsing action begins again.

JME

Anthony

BCWolfen
02-21-2005, 07:44 PM
I was reading up on these guys today as I was updating their picture and info on my website. From what I read no one is 100% sure why or when they pulse. Sometimes they pulse, sometimes not. Sometimes just one head goes, sometimes the entire colony pulses together. It has been noticed that Xenia in lower flow pulse more than ones in higher flow (creating their own flow??)

BCOrchidGuy
02-21-2005, 07:51 PM
My xenia used to pulse sometimes, sometimes not. I coulld find no rhyme nor reason to the differences. Somedays the Xenia looked like it was going to melt but next day it was big and bold as ever.
I had mine is a very high flow area and it grew like gang busters, as did my Anthellia. I've read they require iodide but I never dosed it, I just did my regular water changes and they did very well.

Doug

Willow
02-21-2005, 07:52 PM
i have always assumed that they pulse to grab food out of the water column. do you overskim your tank?

Invigor
02-21-2005, 07:52 PM
nope, I underskim and overfeed :)

they haven't had any marine snow since they've been here...maybe i'll try some of that.

BCOrchidGuy
02-22-2005, 01:26 AM
Xenia don't actually feed by grabbing food but they are autotrophic (photosynthetic). Some people suspect that they feed through absorbsion buy they have a diminished feeding aparatus so they aren't grabbing particles.
Good water quality and good light seem to keep them happy.

Doug

megatron_55
02-22-2005, 06:28 AM
Interesting . . . . anyhow . . . as for my experience. Everytime I move the pulsing xenia's towards higher lighting with low flow rate they pulse more than where I move them lower in the tank . . . not sure if lighting has anything to do with it but from my experience thats what happens. . . . Most fish store tells me that they pulse depending on the level of your iodine in the tank and the quality of your water. . . Again I have no proof of that so ... not really sure :mrgreen:

megatron_55
02-22-2005, 06:31 AM
PS . . . YaY!! :mrgreen: i JuSt WrOtE mY 100th Post . . . Just thoght i'd celebrate :shocked!: :smilecol: :drinking: . . . well . . 101 now! YaY!

BCWolfen
02-22-2005, 06:32 AM
Xenia info....

http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/pulsating_xenia.htm

danny zubot
02-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Good link!