PDA

View Full Version : fine white spikes coming out of my hippo tang's eye!

raquel
02-21-2005, 04:17 AM
I just noticed that there are fine white spikes jutting out around my hippo tang's eye. It had ich and it went away pretty quick. It was very healthy and getting big but these white looking pins are very worrisome. I put in garlic and they reduced in size. Yikes, help.

Raquel

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-21-2005, 07:18 AM
Probably from an encounter with a bristle worm :evil: My twin spot goby female had a beard the first night I got her from my giant (6") monster. I'll probably have to tear down the tank to get it out of there.

Anthony

Corey
02-21-2005, 12:28 PM
My Hippo had the same thing a few days ago, didnt know what it was, but it didnt seem to bother it, went away in a day or so.

danny zubot
02-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Never heard of this before, keep us posted!

raquel
02-22-2005, 02:05 AM
wow, the spikes have almost disappeared. that was a weird experience. maybe the garlic helped or maybe not. hope this is the last event of this kind.

danny zubot
02-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Excellent, good to hear!

clownchick22
02-23-2005, 12:30 AM
I've seen 3 about 2cm-1" long bristle worms in my new tank this week.. is that a bad thing then?.. :eek:

Also, one of the bristle worms was bright pink, and turned a dull purple within about 1/2 hr watching it!.. weird!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-23-2005, 01:42 AM
Small bristle worms are not bad for a tank because they are detrivores. They'll help to eat up any uneaten foods lying around. It's only when they are overfed & become "monsters" do they usually become a problem. Mine will bite corals (bit my red brain last week :evil: :mad: ), so I'll have to deal with it soon via a free tour of the Burnaby sewer system. Watch how much and how often you feed & your bristle worm population should never explode & become a problem.

By the way, always try to catch them with a net or container & not with your hands or you'll be scratching for a week from the bristles they leave behind. (Do as I say, not as I do :redface: )
Anthony

bulletsworld
02-23-2005, 07:08 AM
Yes, after doing some aquascaping last week I must of brushed by my large bristle worm not knowing as later I felt like I had many splinters in my fingers. Couldn't see them though and scrubbed & washed but couldn't get rid of them for a could of days. It's almost like fiber glass shards on hand you can't see. Not fun!

Yeah I got a large bristle worm that is about 12" long, had since I started the hobby and I'm thinking he's been nipping at corals as of lately too. So you say its bad to give him a piece of krill to himself? :eek:

:eek:

Corey
02-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Hows is it that they are nipping at the corals? I was always of the understanding that the "harmless" ones dont have teeth, more of a slurping type mouth(bad analagey).

bulletsworld
02-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Hows is it that they are nipping at the corals? I was always of the understanding that the "harmless" ones dont have teeth, more of a slurping type mouth(bad analagey).

Thats why I say I'm thinking he's nipping corals. Meaning its around when it happens but I haven't proved it hence the bristle worm still in the tank over 12" long but it does eat the krill each time...so hmm... Figure if I keep him happy my other stuff be o.k. :lol:

Skimmerking
02-23-2005, 05:22 PM
I received some Brittleworms from Doug and i have one atleast 14" long stretched out for m one end to the other. Havent gave me any samage yet!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

mike