PDA

View Full Version : Refugium Questions

Reefhawk1
02-21-2005, 02:29 AM
Does anyone use Miracle Mud in their refugium? Are there other alternatives? What are the benifits of Miracle mud in a refugium?

If anyone has an answer to any of these questions please post away.

Thanks

Stan

Tarolisol
02-21-2005, 02:31 AM
In my refuge i have sand and plants. Ive never figured out the benefit of miracle mud, it cost way to much to justify me buying.

Willow
02-21-2005, 02:54 AM
Does anyone use Miracle Mud in their refugium? Are there other alternatives? What are the benifits of Miracle mud in a refugium?

If anyone has an answer to any of these questions please post away.

Thanks

Stan

i do. i run mud, caulerpa and no skimmer (eco system). the theory is that the mud is a good base for the macro to grow and host pods in. the mud leaches trace minerals so there is no need to supplement additives with the exception of calcium. because of the lack of skimmer (and a true eco has no mechanical filtration) it can be a bit of a tightrope in what you add to bio wise into your system. the system works great for soft stuff that like to grow in "dirty" water but if you were growing stonies or had lots of bio load i wouldn’t consider this system.

if you just wanted a substance for your fuge base and were still planning on a skimmer i wouldn’t spend the extra dough on the mud. i mean i would if i had the money but 130 bucks for 10 pounds is a lot of dough.

heres a pic of my sump, the caulerpa is all i have for filtration. i added it a week ago and just double the amount of light to 36 watts. within a month i will be chopping caulerpa out of there with a chainsaw, within 6 months there should be a ton of pods living in the mud (hopefully). Btw the bio balls in there are just to help trap debris as it comes out of the overflow, this will be replaced with a part time micron bag when i redo some plumbing this week.

http://www.mayberryhq.com/images/otis/sump_a.jpg

http://www.mayberryhq.com/images/otis/sump_b.jpg

Reefhawk1
02-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Thank you for the posts they are much appreciated.

Stan

KrazyKuch
02-21-2005, 04:29 PM
I also Have a question about My Fuge Do I need a heater in their or is the water gonna stay warm enough just from the slow flow from the sump????

Richer
02-21-2005, 04:40 PM
I guess it depends on how slow the flow to your refugium is. The only way to find out is to try it, and see what the temp of your refugium is. I believe most people don't have a problem keeping temperatures constant in their refugiums.

-Rich

Willow
02-21-2005, 06:02 PM
i have a heater in mine only because my fuge is also my sump.

hockey nut
02-21-2005, 08:04 PM
Willow,

What size is your sump/fuge? It looks good.

How do you like those Coral life mini lights and do they keep your macro happy????

Willow
02-21-2005, 08:27 PM
Willow,

What size is your sump/fuge? It looks good.

How do you like those Coral life mini lights and do they keep your macro happy????

it's a 27 seastar. jack rebuilt it for me when i my eco sump got a bit smashed during a move. i just added the coralvue's last week and i am already noticing an increase in macro growth. if you use them on your fuge get the 6700k freshwater ones. i like them alot better than my old 18watt light, the come in nice little hoods with built in ballasts. i was going to use a screw in type bulb with a clip fixture but it turned out that the coralvues are cheaper and much nicer.

muck
02-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Where did you get the light Willow?
got a link maybe?

Willow
02-21-2005, 08:48 PM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=pc-al0909

thats the sw one, for a fuge get the fw one it comes in a green box. i originaly bought one but grabbed a second as i was so happy with it. ive seen them sold at a couple of diffrent places from 31 buck to over 40.

muck
02-21-2005, 08:50 PM
http://www.jlaquatics.com/cgi-bin/shopping/jalstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=pc-al0909

thats the sw one, for a fuge get the fw one it comes in a green box. i originaly bought one but grabbed a second as i was so happy with it. ive seen them sold at a couple of diffrent places from 31 buck to over 40.
I thought that was it but I wanted to double check...
It would take up way less room in my stand than my current light setup for the fuge. Thanks!! :cool: