PDA

View Full Version : Blue starfish dying

adidas
02-20-2005, 08:38 PM
anyone know what would cause a blue star to have his guts start coming out its mouth? it's like turning inside out!!! :question:

kris_willard
02-20-2005, 08:59 PM
A few too many drinks? Lol

Beverly
02-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Could have been the recent change of tanks and/or your ammonia problem :sad:

adidas
02-21-2005, 09:22 AM
for some reason it looks as though it sucked its guts back inside!! weird :confused: i took him out of the main tank to observe him closely. I also moved my boxfish to the quarrintine tank out of paranoia, he doesnt look so great, so just in case, he's moved for now. I recently hooked up the sump and return and i think there is too much current for him.

danny zubot
02-21-2005, 02:16 PM
It could have eaten someething that didn't agree with it and this is the only way to discard the substance.

flyboy
02-28-2005, 06:19 AM
What you say is happening is something I have read about while doing research about Linckia starfish on Reef Central. There are many others who have had this happen. I do not remember what it was but you might go check it out. How long have you had your Linckia? How long did you acclimatize it? The Linckia starfish hydravascular system is very delicate and the recommended drip time is at least 4 hours. I have had one for about 9 months now and it appears to be doing good so far (knock on wood). I hope your is going to be ok.

adidas
02-28-2005, 06:37 AM
What you say is happening is something I have read about while doing research about Linckia starfish on Reef Central. There are many others who have had this happen. I do not remember what it was but you might go check it out. How long have you had your Linckia? How long did you acclimatize it? The Linckia starfish hydravascular system is very delicate and the recommended drip time is at least 4 hours. I have had one for about 9 months now and it appears to be doing good so far (knock on wood). I hope your is going to be ok.

to acclimatize him, I did it for about 2 hours. i will do it longer on the next one. Linckia's look amazing!

pandafishowner
02-28-2005, 06:39 AM

to acclimatize him, I did it for about 2 hours. i will do it longer on the next one. Linckia's look amazing!

looks like we'll definitely be using one of the feed bags with drip from now on, eh j?

megatron_55
02-28-2005, 07:38 AM
Wow!! I don't know if its the same but I have a red lincka?? Linka?? (don't know the spelling! :silly: Anyhow . . . I acclimated him for 1/2 hour!!! :eek: He's fine tho' i've had him for about 3-4 months now :biggrin: as forhim turning inside out . . . Not sure but I heared that a sudden change in salinity or temparature is not good for them . . . did you just do a water change before it happened??

adidas
02-28-2005, 07:49 AM
Wow!! I don't know if its the same but I have a red lincka?? Linka?? (don't know the spelling! :silly: Anyhow . . . I acclimated him for 1/2 hour!!! :eek: He's fine tho' i've had him for about 3-4 months now :biggrin: as forhim turning inside out . . . Not sure but I heared that a sudden change in salinity or temparature is not good for them . . . did you just do a water change before it happened??

hmmm not sure but i think i did a few water changes around the same time, and we were tryin to get the salinty up.

flyboy
02-28-2005, 04:02 PM
I have also read that they are very sensitive to salinity changes as well.

shadowboy
02-28-2005, 10:55 PM
We had a common knobbed starfish that did this all the time. He'd invert his stomach on the glass, looked alot like snot, green and slimy.
dont know if this helps, we still have the starfish that does this and he's doin fine

adidas
02-28-2005, 11:22 PM
We had a common knobbed starfish that did this all the time. He'd invert his stomach on the glass, looked alot like snot, green and slimy.
dont know if this helps, we still have the starfish that does this and he's doin fine

When this happened, the star was on the glass, at first it looked like he had a certain part of the female anatomy :lol: