PDA

View Full Version : Newbies need everything! :)

cindyt
02-19-2005, 04:23 PM
Hi all :)

New here,but plan on being a 'fixture' before long :D

New to saltwater,have a fish only tank right now wed like to upgrade to a bigger set-up(at least 50 gall)to include reef.We need virtually everything,so if you have something you think we may need,email away!

(Edmonton area)

kthomas@focus.ca

eddie holland
02-19-2005, 04:46 PM
welcome hope you have fun on your trek.

IrishReefer
02-21-2005, 03:49 AM
Hi,

Welcome - just a few more details...

Are you buying a new 50 gal tank for marine? Do you know what kind of livestock that you want to keep yet? Its good you gave everyone a shout now before plunging in - now we can probably steer you clear of any pricy mistakes!

Brian

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-21-2005, 07:22 AM
Hi there Cindyt.

If you do some research here & in other sources like www.wetwebmedia.com, you can get a better idea of what you want to keep & post it here so we can advise you on what equipment is necessary for keeping what type of species, etc. :biggrin:

And so begins the quest.....(addiction)

Anthony

Doug
02-21-2005, 01:19 PM
WELCOME to CANREEF Cindyt

:mrgreen:

cindyt
02-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Wow-thats a nice welcome!! Thank you very much all,and you can bet Ill start harassing y'all soon about this,that and everything else! :lol:

And,for now,Imma go do some searching and see exactly where I wanna go with this tank...BUT,I DO know I need a lid/light for a 27 gall hex if anyone has one :)

Talk to you all soon,
CIndy :)

snaggle
02-21-2005, 03:32 PM
welcome to the board.

as for stuff for a 27 hex what is the depth in it on it and the witdth I might hane some stuff you can use. I need to serching first.

Brad

muck
02-21-2005, 03:39 PM
welcome to the board.

as for stuff for a 27 hex what is the depth in it on it and the witdth I might hane some stuff you can use. I need to serching first.

Brad
Anyone got a Brad/English translator..?? :razz:

mr_alberta
02-21-2005, 03:49 PM
welcome to the board.

Brad
Anyone got a Brad/English translator..?? :razz:

ENGRISH -> ENGLISH TRANSLATION

Welcome to the board!

I may have some items you may use for a 27G Hex, but I need to know the dimensions of the tank.

END TRANSLATION

Sorry, I couldn't decipher what he meant by, "I need to serching first." It either means "I need to do more research first" or "I need to search for the items first."

HTH :mrgreen:

KrazyKuch
02-21-2005, 04:39 PM
I don't think anyone knows an exact translation to some of brads rantings!!!!!

Welcome to Canreef cindyt and welcome to the hobby which will consume you!!!!If you ever need a hand setting up your tank for plumbing electrical or anything PM me and I will gladdly lend my services!!!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-21-2005, 04:48 PM
Cindy,

I have a 35g hex & I have bought several T-5 lights & PC lights for it (it's only 18" wide so non-standard dimensions for lighting units). If I had to do it all over again, I would have spent all that money (about $200 :evil: :rolleyes: ) on a used Metal Halide pendant 150 or 175w. As it is now, I have 3 *65w PC (2 10000k & 1 actinic) and 2 T-5 actinic. It's now finally bright enough, but I could have made it a lot better with just the MH unit. Unfortunately, 65w PCs are not very bright :confused: so that's why I need so many & it's very messy (no room with so many lights). With that much money invested in lighting for this tank, I really would have been better off with MH. 96w PCs are much brighter & more cost-effective than 65w PCs, but you would need a 33g tank or a 27g long to accomodate it's 35" length. As an owner of a hex tank I can tell you first hand that it can be a thing of beauty but it's a lot more challenging to aquascape & to equip than a regular tank. Space will be a limiting factor for your corals & fish. For a newbie, you should maybe consider looking for a good used 33g setup. There's a picture of my hex in my photo gallery (under SeaHorse_fanatic) & I can take a pic of the many lights needed on top if you want me too. Not going MH on a hex is one of my more expensive mistakes.

JME & JMO (just my experience/opinion)

Anthony (fellow hex tank owner) :razz:

snaggle
02-21-2005, 05:10 PM
it means I need to go to school and I might have some stuff around the house for him.

Brad

cindyt
02-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Consume me..?? My god,its already driving me insane!I cant get enough...its like,the more I see,the more I want! :D

As for tanks..sigh...I would tell you guys what I did this last 2 months,however Id like to keep y'all as friends,and not people who think 'Good lord,shes absolutely nuts!' :lol:

Brad--its 24 inches tall,and 18 inches across.

And now,Im off to so some fishy searching!

cindyt
02-21-2005, 08:42 PM
PS Does anyone ever go to those fish auctions?Theres one coming up here,and Id like to take a look,but wondered what you guys think of them,and if theyre worthwhile.

Cindy :)

muck
02-21-2005, 08:47 PM
PS Does anyone ever go to those fish auctions?Theres one coming up here,and Id like to take a look,but wondered what you guys think of them,and if theyre worthwhile.

Cindy :)
If you are talking about the ACE Auction at the High Park Community Center its a FW auction. You won't really find anything SW related there.

danny zubot
02-21-2005, 09:57 PM
Hi Cindy, welcome officially to Canreef! I forgot to ask you the other day if your fish only tank is saltwater?

ABreefkpr
02-22-2005, 03:33 AM
Welcome to Canreef!
How are you making out at finding everything? This is the place to look.

Keith

cindyt
02-22-2005, 03:19 PM
My tanks are fish only...for now >:) As for finding everything,Im getting a bit overwhelmed...seems like the list of what you 'need' is endless,however,I guess that means itll keep me outta trouble longer :D

my list is growing tho,and soon Ill post an exacto of what Id like to get,this time,lol(with many..MANY more to come :)