PDA

View Full Version : foxface or kole

Willow
02-18-2005, 08:30 PM
my tank still shows some nitrates (10 i think) so im not quite finished cycling yet. when i am though i should have a nice crop of algae for someone to eat. does anyone see a problem with adding a foxface or kole tang to the tank to help with some algae control as a first fish? is there one of these more efficient than the other? i was also thinking down the line at some point i would like to add a chevron tang, would a kole and a chevron pose any problems together?

thanks.

muck
02-18-2005, 08:46 PM
What size tank are we talking about here..?? :confused:

Willow
02-18-2005, 08:48 PM
doh.. sorry it's a 90

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-18-2005, 09:11 PM
Willow,

Kole. I might have a two spot or Indonesian purple tang available in a couple of weeks from my seahorse tank if you're interested.

Anthony

BCOrchidGuy
02-19-2005, 12:37 AM
Kole tang is a beautiful fish in my books, I had a fox face and a Sailfin Tang in my 155, algae didn't stand a chance... so get both (once the tank is ready to handle them both).

Doug

Willow
02-21-2005, 04:02 AM
Willow,

Kole. I might have a two spot or Indonesian purple tang available in a couple of weeks from my seahorse tank if you're interested.

Anthony

whats a 2 spot, is that the yellow eye that you have in there? if so hell yeah i'll take that.

EmilyB
02-21-2005, 05:51 AM
Regarding the mix of a chevron and a kole, I would definitely advise against. It is always a good general rule of thumb to avoid mixing fish of the same genus, in this case Ctenochaetus .

They end up looking very much alike (when the chevron matures). The Chevron I might add, was ime much "smrter" hehe, than a kole.

Willow
02-21-2005, 06:19 AM
Regarding the mix of a chevron and a kole, I would definitely advise against. It is always a good general rule of thumb to avoid mixing fish of the same genus, in this case Ctenochaetus .

They end up looking very much alike (when the chevron matures). The Chevron I might add, was ime much "smrter" hehe, than a kole.

i did think of that and its a good point, they are both pretty peaceful tangs though aren’t they? i really want the chevron but a kole really earns his keep in the tank.

Willow
02-22-2005, 12:19 AM
has anyone every heard of a kole tang with poka dots instead of the horizonal lines? i was a j&l last week and they had one there in the sps tank. ive tried searching for info about them but can't seem to find anything.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-22-2005, 04:13 AM
Willow,

The two spot or Indonesian purple tang has blue eyes and spots on the front half & stripes on the back half of the body. More of a brownish-lavender colour & yellow tinted tail.

Anthony

I tried to get a pic but it's too bleepin fast for a digital camera. :evil:

Chin_Lee
02-22-2005, 04:37 AM
foxfaces are pigs. they eat everything and they poo alot. A kole is a much nicer fish ime. but if you want a fish to eat all your macro algae, get a fox face.

Willow
02-22-2005, 05:10 AM
actually it's the micro i want eaten up. will they eat halameda?

Chin_Lee
02-22-2005, 06:12 AM
i doubt it. that stuff is pretty tough for most fish, would be like eating cardboard

SeaHorse_Fanatic
02-22-2005, 07:59 AM
Mmmmmmm. Cardboard :eating: :lol:

Willow
02-27-2005, 02:10 AM
just thought everyone would like to know im the proud new owner of a lovely little kole tang. i would grab a pic of him if he would sit still for a second, he started working the rock and glass 20mins after he arrived and hasn’t stopped. i told him when he rids the tank of algae he can have a fat gob of mysis so i think he’s motivated.

rusty
02-27-2005, 03:07 AM
What kind of algee kole tang eat? I have got hair algee growing and I am looking for something that is reef safe and will take care of the algee :biggrin:

muck
02-27-2005, 05:52 AM
What kind of algee kole tang eat? I have got hair algee growing and I am looking for something that is reef safe and will take care of the algee :biggrin:
You are talking for when you switch to the bigger tank right? :cool:

Willow
02-27-2005, 06:51 AM
i don't think anything except maybe a foxface will go after big clumps of hair. it does eat the filimatinious stuff on glass and rocks. apart from most other tangs ive owned in the past koles seem to really earn their keep.

rusty
02-27-2005, 01:39 PM
i don't think anything except maybe a foxface will go after big clumps of hair. it does eat the filimatinious stuff on glass and rocks. apart from most other tangs ive owned in the past koles seem to really earn their keep. Are they reef safe?

Willow
02-27-2005, 03:22 PM
oh yeah, they are pretty docile and only seem interested in grazing.