PDA

View Full Version : skimmer help

Nemain
02-18-2005, 02:51 PM
I hooked up my new becket, but its just not working.. water goes in, air goes in.. its bubbly.. but its not reaching the top of the skimmer at all, and there is apparently no sludge in my tank.. yeah right o_O

I filled my sump to max capacity, that brought he water level up to the top of the first connection doo hicky (sorry for the technical terms o_O) but still... nothing.

Am i doing soemthing wrong here?

Beth

Dez
02-18-2005, 03:02 PM
I hooked up my new becket, but its just not working.. water goes in, air goes in.. its bubbly.. but its not reaching the top of the skimmer at all, and there is apparently no sludge in my tank.. yeah right o_O

I filled my sump to max capacity, that brought he water level up to the top of the first connection doo hicky (sorry for the technical terms o_O) but still... nothing.

Am i doing soemthing wrong here?

Beth

If it is your first time setting up the skimmer there might be a break in period. Have your water level just above the box of your skimmer and wait a couple of days. Try to keep your hands out of the tank. There might be oils and stuff from the handling of your skimmer so it might need to break in. A foam head should start then you can turn your gate valve clockwise a little bit to raise the water level in the skimmer, this will let you skim "more" or wetter. Harvey made his skimmer and I think it took a few days before it started skimming.

des

Nemain
02-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Thanks Dez! I was starting to get worried! This is day two, so hopefully I will see some yucky badness soon!

I can't wait for you all to see the new plumbing OMG! It doesnt even look like my tank anymore o_O

muck
02-18-2005, 03:17 PM
I can't wait for you all to see the new plumbing OMG! It doesnt even look like my tank anymore o_O
Beth,
Post Pics!! :mrgreen:

danny zubot
02-18-2005, 05:23 PM
Beth, do you have it set to a dry or a wet foam? I found that raising the water level in the skimmer and drying up the foam will help in the break in period. And yes, post pics!

Nemain
02-18-2005, 09:41 PM
No time to frig around trying to post pics, but I will take a couple tonight/tomorrow and bring the digi cam to the meeting!

Its set at a fairly dry foam.. which i changed this morning to a wet foam, hoping that would help *bonk* Ill switch it again tonight and just wait it out o_O

Nemo
02-19-2005, 03:33 AM
I had the same questions with mine. my level would be good and then it would just drop 8-10" and no skimming. I found out that after a feeding the oils and junk in the water would not allow the larger bubbles to form that gets the protiens out. (something about oils and surface tension) But now it is working great and I know not to touch the settings when things do not look right.