PDA

View Full Version : VHO issues and Kalk Question

BCOrchidGuy
02-17-2005, 07:45 PM
I remember a year or so ago alot of talk going on about VHO end caps melting down and catching fire etc. Anyone had any trouble since? Was it a name brand that this was happening to or was it any VHO???

Is it possible to overdose Kalk, IE small demand+ Kalk mix in fresh water top off. Is there a point where it's safer to add additives rather than drip Kalk or go to a CO2 Reactor.

Doug

Invigor
02-17-2005, 08:05 PM
http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/kalkwasser.html

i found this to be a good read on kalk. hope it helps.

BCOrchidGuy
02-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Arggggghhhh... did I mention I'm lousy at chemistry... and spelling... Okay so adding vinegar makes it a solution of what's needed will get used and what's not needed will just.... go away?... dissapate?

Doug

ps, thanks for the reply and the link

sumpfinfishe
02-17-2005, 11:20 PM
Doug,
If your having troubles maintaining Ca and can't afford or justify a reactor on a small system such as mine then try Kent's Liquid Reactor.
This stuff works great and is Ionically balenced so you don't need to play the teeter totter games.
I just started using it last month as I was no longer able to keep up to the Ca demands using kalkwasser alone. Long term use of kalkwasser can lead to sandbed binding and other things.
And yes it is easy and harmful to overdose kalkwasser or any additive for that matter, which can cause serious swings in Ph and Alkilinty and also throw your system out of whack on the chemistry scale.
I dose LR once a week and even at 3mls I have to be careful and alway's blend with top off.

BCOrchidGuy
02-17-2005, 11:32 PM
Thanks Rich, I used LR before and was pretty happy with it, mind you I've used lots of different things with out any issues. I was always a fan of SeaChem and Kent but both have products that didn't work for me. That being said, it may have been me that did something wrong rather than the products.

Doug

StirCrazy
02-18-2005, 12:22 AM
the problem that was mentions on this board was due to incorect wiring. it was fixed and no problems sence.

Steve

BCOrchidGuy
02-18-2005, 12:43 AM
Thanks Steve much appreciate the answers.

Doug

untamed
02-19-2005, 03:22 AM
Long term use of kalkwasser can lead to sandbed binding and other things.

Could you elaborate on that? Provide me some chemical explanation if you can.